Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:51
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Apr 27, 2006

I had set up a free account with eFax so I could receive faxes. I barely have to send faxes so I didn't want to pay for the full membership or however it works. I'd had the fax number for a couple of years without any problem, I would receive the occasional fax, and that was it.

Today somebody contact me on the phone asking for a quote 4000 words for tomorrow and the estimate time it would take me to do it. So I gave her the fax number and waited for the eFax email. I never got it. I thought I may have given her the wrong fax number so I called her back, since she was on the other line I left the fax number to the secretary.

Nothing happened. 8:35 pm: I received another email where she asked me about the quote and that she needed the translation for tomorrow by 1:00pm. I never received the fax.

I tried to log in to my eFax account, I couldn't. I sent a request for my password/PIN, I didn't receive any email. So I called them. I waited 5 minutes until a very polite lady answered the phone. She bassically said that since my account had been inactive for more than one month, it had been suspended and the number had been assigned to someone else. I asked her why didn't I recieve a notification about this and she said, they don't do that...and apologized.

Fortunately I could contact my client--after 9pm, and she said that she could fax me the documents at 7am and could wait for the translation a bit more. Now, I have a FaxItNice account that charges me for every fax I receive or send instead of a monthly fee. But eFax, never again.

I just thought I should share what happened to me. In case you have a free fax number from eFax, keep it active or lose it.

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
12.95/month Apr 27, 2006

I'm sorry about the bad experience you had with efax. I just got efax a couple of wks ago and it's 12.95/mo. plus .10 for outgoing domestic faxes (and varies for international faxes). Should I be worried about my # becoming inactive, or is it just if you have it for free? Thanks for sharing the info!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:51
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free account Apr 27, 2006

Since you have paid for your account plan, I don't think you should worry about it. I didn't want to pay a monthly fee for something I only use a few times a year.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:51
English to German
+ ...
Happened to me too Apr 27, 2006

A couple of years ago, the same thing happened to me too. However, they contacted me before they suspended my account. They must have changed their policy regarding such notifications. Nevertheless, I think they should at least let you know if they deactivate your account.

Sonja

Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
They recently changed my number Apr 27, 2006

I've been using efax for over five years and everything was fine until recently. I do receive faxes once in a while but I don't think it is every month on the spot (I mean, I'm sure longer periods go on without any fax). A few weeks back they wrote to notify that they were changing the number I use unless I paid their monthly fee to keep it. I found it annoying but decided it was not worth paying for it (it's only used occasionaly, and if I were to pay for the service I would want to shop around, get a local number, etc.) so I let it be. Now you got me worried, specialy the part about they discontinuing the service without previous notice...

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
They warn they can discontinue free e-fax service at any time Apr 27, 2006

I looked at the Belgian eFax site and there is a short paragraph that says that free eFax amounts to a favor and they reserve the right to discontinue the service at any time, without notification.

j2 Global vous offre le Service Free à titre de faveur, et se réserve le droit de supprimer votre Service Free à tout moment, sans notification.
https://wwwi.efax.com/fr/efax/twa/page/customerAgreementPopup

2 Global provides the Free Service as an accommodation to you, and reserves the right to terminate your Free Service at anytime without notice. http://home.efax.com/customerAgreements/efax/customerAgreement.html

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
send fax for free Apr 27, 2006

These can be useful to keep your efax free account "alive":
http://www.tpc.int/sendfax.html
http://www.weston-super-mare.com/fax.html (which seems very similar to the top link)

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
they do not work for my number Apr 28, 2006

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

These can be useful to keep your efax free account "alive":
http://www.tpc.int/sendfax.html
http://www.weston-super-mare.com/fax.html (which seems very similar to the top link)

I tried them both but they respond, that my efax-number is not covered by their service.
I have been paying efax yearly, but its been more than a year since I got any fax, so I probably will suspend my account this year. Saving another 100 Euro on fixed costs. Scanners are everywhere, so faxing is dying out.

Regards
Heinrich

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Strange... Apr 29, 2006

I have a free account since a couple of years but rarely get any faxes. Having read your posting I just tried to log in at their website and it was working fine, without any problems, though I had not used their services for about 6 months now - so why does it not work with your accounts?

Charlotte

Just tried those two links - same result as Heinrich, "not covered by our service"

[Edited at 2006-04-29 11:46]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:51
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
No problem so far, but... May 2, 2006

I have had an eFax number for several years and sometimes I haven't used it for several months.
I decided that I would go for the paying service and tried to create an account. I was unable to do it and couldn't find a solution in their FAQ, so I sent an e-mail to their Support service. This was one week ago and I'm still waiting for the answer. Lucky me that it's for the paying service!

Claudia

LingoConsult
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:51
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Try j2fax - it is free May 2, 2006

I had the same problem and found out a good solution - j2 fax. It is fax-to-email. You receive a free fax number and it works just perfectly. Try it!

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
But the "free" number is in the USA May 4, 2006

WordWebWorld wrote:

I had the same problem and found out a good solution - j2 fax. It is fax-to-email. You receive a free fax number and it works just perfectly. Try it!

Well, for "free", I got a number in the USA. I certainly can't expect clients in Europe to pay for a call to the US just to send me a fax. A 'local' number (their terminology') costs $15 a month.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning with eFax

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs