Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Who is the first translator in history?
Thread poster: Chang-woo Kong

Chang-woo Kong
Local time: 12:46
English to Korean
+ ...
Oct 31, 2001

It may sounds a little silly, but I\'ve been wondering about this question since I started my carreer as a translator. What\'s the name of the world\'s first translator recorded in documents, and his or her work. I believe that a \"translator\" is one of the oldest professions in history.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:46
German to Italian
+ ...
the first translator in the world? Nov 1, 2001

I don\'t know who he was - but I could imagine, the coordinator of works at the building site for the Tower of Babel!

Gilda

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
the first translator in the world... Nov 1, 2001

Hmmm... Saint-Jérôme, I suppose.

CLS Lexi-tech
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
very nice! Nov 1, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-01 09:23, reymarktco wrote:

I don\'t know who he was - but I could imagine, the coordinator of works at the building site for the Tower of Babel!

Gilda

ciao!

paola l m

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
God Nov 2, 2001

According to the Bible he translated Adam\'s DNA code into Eve\'s.

Sven.

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
God? Nov 2, 2001

this was then the first example, of how dangerous translations can be... As a matter of fact, immediately after God created Henry and ProZ, so that he could ask for the advice of professional translators...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-02 04:34 ]

Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 23:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good God Nov 2, 2001

And then God said \' Thou shall not clone translators\'.... and so it was for a long time until..............someone cloned translators and today they are dime a dozen.And so someone had the brilliant idea to cash on them by auctioning their cheap services.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
OK, it was God but where did S/He get the technology? Nov 3, 2001

The Gospel according to St John tells us that \"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God\".

So who sold God the licence for Word?

Giles

PS The verse goes on to say that the Word was God but I think the Microsoft marketing people are possibly stretching a point there.

DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-02 02:36, sven wrote:

Sven.

Hmm...some male chauvinists would suggest that something was lost in the translation. But then Eve clearly right from the start could take a ribbing!

Rich

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Sure it was Him, Sven's right. And then one day He had made people speak different langs.. Nov 3, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-02 02:36, sven wrote:

Sven.

[addsig]

DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
In Principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Bill Gates? Nov 11, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-03 01:35, giles wrote:

The Gospel according to St John tells us that \"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God\".

So who sold God the licence for Word?

Giles

PS The verse goes on to say that the Word was God but I think the Microsoft marketing people are possibly stretching a point there.

Ha ha ha! Refreshingly nonexegetical!

Rich

vmh  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:46
English to Spanish
San Jerónimo Jul 5, 2002

San Jerónimo fue el primer traductor de la Biblia. En México (y quizá en españa) el día de San Jerónimo se celebra como el día del traductor.

Prometo recuperar más datos al respecto para hacértelos llegar.

Saludos

Verónica =)

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
The first translators Jul 5, 2002

St. Jerome was the first translator to document the translation process and is thus considered the \"Father\" of the profession. However, La Malinche, a native indian woman (I forget if she was from Mexico or Peru) has been recognized in translation history as being the first person to \"interpret\" or verbally translate from her native language into Spanish for the colonists.

Regards.

Belkis

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Doña Marina, a noble Mexican...first interpreter and Hernan Cortes´ love... Jul 5, 2002

ONCE UPON A TIME...

Born the daughter of a noble Aztec family, upon the death of her father, a chief, her mother remarried. Soon after she gave birth to a son. Probably at the urging of her new husband, she decided that he, rather than her daughter, should rule the village. To accomplish this, she sold the young girl to some passing traders and claimed she had died. They in turn took her to Tabasco where she wound up as the slave of the Cacique, the military chief of the area. By the time Cortes arrived, she had learned the Mayan dialects spoken in the Yucatan while still understanding Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs and most Non-Mayan Indians.

The first landfall of the Spaniards on their voyage of conquest was in a Mayan- speaking area. There, they ransomed a priest, Jeronimo de Aguilar, shipwrecked years before and held as a slave. He spoke both Spanish and the Mayan dialects. Thus he was able to act as an interpreter. At Tabasco, Cortes was presented with 20 young women slaves , who he proceed to convert to Christianity and baptize. One of them, christened Doña Marina, was about to enter the pages of history, for at the next port of call the expedition met envoys of Moctezuma, the Aztec Emperor, and found that Jeronimo de Aquilar could no longer communicate with the Indians.

That night, Cortes was told that the slave, Doña Marina, could speak and understand the language of the Aztecs, and the next day, she became his alter ego. She spoke no Spanish, but translated what the Aztecs said in Nahuatl to Mayan and de Aguilar relayed it to Cortes in Spanish. The importance of the ability of Cortes to communicate with Moctezuma played a vital role in the Conquest. Cortes sent message after message, proclaiming that he had come in peace and wished to visit the Emperor only to extend greetings from his own monarch.

Always, Doña Marina served as the voice of Cortes. This symbiotic relationship led to the Indians calling her La Malinche. Bernal Diaz explains they always called Cortes, Malinche, meaning “Marina’s Captain.” Prescott, whose “Conquest of Mexico” is the best known book written in English rather than translated from Spanish, explains that the name means “Captain’s Woman.”

She also bore Cortes a son whom he acknowledged. Baptized Martin Cortes, he is the first ”Mexican,” ie, a mixture of Spanish and Indian blood, whose name and history we know.

... So she was probably one of the first interpreters.

As per translators, we all \"celebrate\" our day on September 30, Saint Jerome´s day.

Regards from Buenos Aires,

Aurora

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-05 01:23 ]

krishna mallick
India
Local time: 23:16
Japanese to English
+ ...
aurora humaran's interesting anecdote Jul 5, 2002

aurora described this so explicitly that it was very enjoyable. This made me think translators and interpreters are there since thousands of years,a very interesting thing to know.

good aurora, you remember an interesting article.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is the first translator in history?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs