Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 20:18
German to Spanish
+ ...
May 16, 2006

Dear colleagues,

Maybe this subject has been discussed already. Anyway, I've just discovered Babylon 6 software (www.babylon.com)and I've downloaded the free 30 day trial version. At first glance, it looks amazing and a very good value for money. Are you guys using this software? Is it worth it buying it?

Cheers

Conrado

[Edited at 2006-05-16 18:39]

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:18
Member (2004)
If you like it, use it! May 16, 2006

Hi Conrado,

I think people generally love it or hate it. I use Babylon 5, and find it very useful - especially with the Wikipedia links and encyclopedia searches. A few condescending comments have been made, but it's so easy to use - to check spelling, search for synonyms, information etc.... you're right, it's not incredibly expensive (although I don't know what they're charging for Babylon 6), and you can just add the plugins you actually think you might use.

Follo
... See more
Hi Conrado,

I think people generally love it or hate it. I use Babylon 5, and find it very useful - especially with the Wikipedia links and encyclopedia searches. A few condescending comments have been made, but it's so easy to use - to check spelling, search for synonyms, information etc.... you're right, it's not incredibly expensive (although I don't know what they're charging for Babylon 6), and you can just add the plugins you actually think you might use.

Follow your instinct - if you like it, give it a go! I certainly don't regret it and recently renewed my subscription.

K
Collapse

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:18
English to Swedish
+ ...
Absolutely! May 16, 2006

I (and the family) have been using it for several years, and all of us concider it a must both for professional use and when writing an E-mail to our buddies.

True, it does not suggest alternatives nor return a translation if the input is mis-spelt. But the simplicity of its use and the conversion fascility is a true wonder.

Buy it!

Fernando Romero R
Fernando Romero R
English to Spanish
A must-have tool. May 17, 2006

I have using Babylon Translator since version 2.2. I currently use version 5, and it´s my esential tool as a help for as a translator.

I really haven´t tried version 6 yet, but if you like it, and if it includes several other useful features. I suggest you to buy it. At the moment, I stick to my version 5, but the Babylon-Trados team is my faithful companion.

[Edited at 2006-05-17 19:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon 6... is it worth it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »