Thread poster: Paula Hernández

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 20, 2006

Hello fellas,

I am trying to find a converter that changes images to text format. Does anyone know about such a program?

Cheers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:21
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
ABBYY Fine Reader May 20, 2006

I've used the trial version and it worked fine for Dutch scanned texts.

http://www.abbyy.com/finereader8/?param=44890&gclid=CMHw9ZLYhoUCFRlWMAodAwkcLA

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
Please use the forum search May 20, 2006

Hi Paula,

This topic has been discussed numerous times here in forum. Try an advanced search with the relevant keywords here : http://www.proz.com/forumsearch and you will find plenty of useful advices

HTH,
Sylvain

Alberto Orengo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
ABBYY Fine Reader May 20, 2006

I also use ABBYY Fine Reader. The trial version is more than enough. It came with an epson scanner that I bought for slides. I hate when they send you texts in jpg or in pdf. where you cannot select the text but the whole image. Depending on the quality of the text, of course, you will have to mend it after scanning it. E.g, m often becomes ni or viceversa, ll>ii, 8>B, etc. It may take some time, but a solution is agreeing an extra with the agency or just advertise the service with different quotes.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:21
English to French
+ ...
If you have a 4-in-1 machine... May 20, 2006

Many of us don't realize, when we buy a 4-in-1 machine (copy-scan-fax-print) that the interface that comes with it already has a built-in OCR.

I agree that ABBYY is great - I think they are the market leader for OCR, as I see on the forums here that that's what everybody prefers. I also have a lite version of that, it came with my WordPerfect that came with my laptop. It seems that there are lots of demo and lite versions attached to programs and products...

The OCR that came with my Lexmark multitask machine is much like ABBYY and the documents produced are the same quality (maybe Lexmark got theirs from ABBYY), except that it doesn't ask for the document's language before processing it.

Tip: if you have a trial, demo or lite version of this or other OCR software and you have not used anything like this before, please make sure of one thing. Ususally, pictures copied from PDFs are very low resolution (96dpi). This is insufficient for ABBYY and most OCRs to extract text. What you may want to do is to open your image in a picture editor (there are some very neat free ones on the net), and change the resolution of the image to 300dpi. Also, it's best that at the same time, you change the image to JPEG format if it isn't already. Then, you can safely run the OCR on it and your document will most likely turn out near perfect (except for the above mentioned character misreadings and some formatting issues).

If you have formatting issues, instead of fiddling with formatting in the freshly OCRed document, copy all of its text and paste it as text (NOT as rich text). The formatting will go away, and you will start formatting with a clean slate (following the formatting of the original image document, of course).

I you want a real nice free image editor, go to http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/default.asp

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-05-20 17:01]

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Scansoft Omnipage May 20, 2006

I use scansoft omnipage that came with my scanner (Canon) and it is quite useful... and correct...
and someone actually told me that in case u misplace the cd it's actually possible to download these programmes from the manufacturer's site. I have not tried it as I have it.
why don't u try it out...
here's the link:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadDetailAct&fcategoryid=351&modelid=10240
ritu

[Edited at 2006-05-20 18:51]

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 20, 2006

thanks guys, I'll try those and see which one I like the most^_^

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:21
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Free software - SimpleOCR May 20, 2006

SimpleOCR is also a fantastic little program. It doesn't have as many features as ABBYY but it's 100% free and does a great job.

http://www.simpleocr.com/

Elene P.  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 14:21
Member (2007)
Georgian to English
+ ...
thanks! Mar 26, 2008

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur wrote:

I've used the trial version and it worked fine for Dutch scanned texts.

http://www.abbyy.com/finereader8/?param=44890&gclid=CMHw9ZLYhoUCFRlWMAodAwkcLA

Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:21
Danish to English
To OCR or not Apr 29, 2008

Two of my recent jobs required translating from a pdf. On the first one, the outsourcer supplied the pdf, and an OCR'ed version in word, and asked me to proofread the OCR'ed version, which I did. Then I translated directly in Word, by splitting the screen into two panes, keeping the source text in the upper pane, and writing the translation in the lower screen.
The most recent translation was presented as eight pages of pdf text, and eight pages of old tax returns. I skipped the OCR business entirely. Again, I had both Word and Acrobat up, split across the screen. The pdf in the top, Word in the bottom. When I got to the tax returns I did them in Excel, and later pasted the Excel into Word. I delivered the finished document in both Word and a pdf, but never converted the original pdf. It is a lot of work to do that, and it may not be necessary. Translating a text is one job, and OCR'ing and proofing the original is another. It might be convenient for the outsourcer to get his original document converted to a digital file, and proofread as well, but that seems to me to be a scope of work beyond just the translation.
Brian

Jacqueline Noire
Local time: 18:21
Chinese to English
+ ...
pdf ONLINE Apr 30, 2008

I only knew this one
https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

word to PDF, PDF to word. I use it to make my invoices...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

JPG to .doc converter?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs