Word (Office) 2007 beta
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
French to English
May 26, 2006

I've been "test driving", oh all right fooling around with, Microsoft's upcoming suite (available for download from Microsoft). Of possible interest to us translators is a new feature called Translation Tool Tip. I think it's rather neat but the trouble is I can only get it to work intermittently and (seemingly) at random. The idea is that simply be hovering the cursor over the source word a bubble comes up with a dictionary entry. Has anyone experienced this problem? It's driving me mad!

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tried it May 26, 2006

For me, it worked just fine. It drove me crazy, though, so I ended up uninstalling it. It was so annoying, because it would be in the way when I wanted other text boxes to show when hovering over text on the internet. Besides, I didn't find it very useful.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 08:52
English to French
+ ...
How about the rest of it? May 26, 2006

Is word 2007 any better than word 2003?

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Difficult to say May 27, 2006

Sarah! The new interface takes a bit of getting used to, that's for sure. I'll really need to go into it in greater detail. My first impression is that most of the improvements are aimed more at people having to create, revise and share documents than at people like us who are basically editing, i.e. overwriting documents. But I could be wrong.

Nina: so it looks like the Translation Tool Tip drives you made whether or not it works! I wish I could get it to work regularly though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word (Office) 2007 beta

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »