Mobile menu

Is there a website for onomatopoeic words....
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2002

...where one can listen to the different sounds?

Since these words are often \"heard\" differently by speakers of different languages, they can sometimes cause a problem for a translator, and I thought maybe there is a website where one can play back and listen to the different sounds.

In my opinion, listening to a sound would help to decide which translation is the most suitable for that particular sound. At the moment I am struggling with noises associated with cars and driving, such as rumble, rattle, clunk, howl, whine, roar, chuckle (!!), pop, grind etc. etc.

I think this kind of a website would be very useful as well as entertaining. So if you know one, please share it with us. Thanks in advance!

I did find:

http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/animals/animals.html

In this cute website for animal sounds there is a transcription for each sound in several languages (which is not always correct, I noticed) and some (but not all) of the sounds can be played back. Have fun!

Have a nice weekend.

Minna

Direct link Reply with quote

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 22:43
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks for the link Minna, quite amusing! Sep 2, 2002

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a website for onomatopoeic words....

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs