Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone know where I can find an English medical spell corrector for MS-Word? I just need something that can easily verify my spellings for a lot of medical terms within Word.

Any help would be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Pat Jenner
Local time: 21:28
German to English
+ ...
Not sure that such a thing exists. Jun 2, 2006

It would indeed be very helpful! I do a lot of medical translation, and the way I approach it is to use the 'add to dictionary' function for new terms when I do a spellcheck. It won't help you immediately, but may be useful in the long term.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
It's not quite what you asked but... Jun 2, 2006

... could I suggest that you stick all your medical terms into a custom dictionary under Word? This solution assumes, of course, that you already have a list of them, otherwise it will either be a lot of typing for you, or something that gradually builds up over the course of time as you add terms to it.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm doing that Jun 2, 2006

It is the best solution I have so far. It sure would be nice to have one that is already made.

Does anyone have a custom dictionary for medical terms that can be incorporated into Word?

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stedman's Jun 2, 2006

Hi Edward

Stedman's has a med spellchecker that works in Word, in my case it's USA EN which has - as it happens - deactivated my UK EN spellchecker, I don't know why.

I was given mine on CD ROM, so I don't know where you can get it...but at least you know there is one and that it works in Word.

Ailish:-)

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
Danish to English
+ ...
medical spellcheck Jun 2, 2006

I have been using medical spell checkers for many years. There are currently two on the market.

The one I prefer is Stedman's medical/pharmaceutical. You can obtain it from Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. URL is www.Stedmans.com. Phone number is 1-800-638-3030. The latest version came out in October 2005 on CD Rom, but it can also be downloaded.

Stedman's spellchecker works with Word.

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Inductel Jun 2, 2006

www.inductel.com/med_spell.html

Don't know if it does UK spellings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need medical spell corrector for Word

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs