Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone know where I can find an English medical spell corrector for MS-Word? I just need something that can easily verify my spellings for a lot of medical terms within Word.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 09:12
German to English
+ ...
Not sure that such a thing exists. Jun 2, 2006

It would indeed be very helpful! I do a lot of medical translation, and the way I approach it is to use the 'add to dictionary' function for new terms when I do a spellcheck. It won't help you immediately, but may be useful in the long term.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
It's not quite what you asked but... Jun 2, 2006

... could I suggest that you stick all your medical terms into a custom dictionary under Word? This solution assumes, of course, that you already have a list of them, otherwise it will either be a lot of typing for you, or something that gradually builds up over the course of time as you add terms to it.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm doing that Jun 2, 2006

It is the best solution I have so far. It sure would be nice to have one that is already made.

Does anyone have a custom dictionary for medical terms that can be incorporated into Word?

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stedman's Jun 2, 2006

Hi Edward

Stedman's has a med spellchecker that works in Word, in my case it's USA EN which has - as it happens - deactivated my UK EN spellchecker, I don't know why.

I was given mine on CD ROM, so I don't know where you can get it...but at least you know there is one and that it works in Word.

Ailish:-)

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
Danish to English
+ ...
medical spellcheck Jun 2, 2006

I have been using medical spell checkers for many years. There are currently two on the market.

The one I prefer is Stedman's medical/pharmaceutical. You can obtain it from Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. URL is www.Stedmans.com. Phone number is 1-800-638-3030. The latest version came out in October 2005 on CD Rom, but it can also be downloaded.

Stedman's spellchecker works with W
... See more
I have been using medical spell checkers for many years. There are currently two on the market.

The one I prefer is Stedman's medical/pharmaceutical. You can obtain it from Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. URL is www.Stedmans.com. Phone number is 1-800-638-3030. The latest version came out in October 2005 on CD Rom, but it can also be downloaded.

Stedman's spellchecker works with Word.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Inductel Jun 2, 2006

www.inductel.com/med_spell.html

Don't know if it does UK spellings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need medical spell corrector for Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »