https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/49078-information_on_car_classification_in_india.html

Information on car classification in India
Thread poster: LKraus (X)
LKraus (X)
LKraus (X)
Local time: 12:43
English to German
+ ...
Jun 8, 2006

Does anyone know more about the classifications of cars in Indian driving licences? We need more precise definitions for Indian descriptions such as "light motor vehicle" or " medium passenger motor vehicle" etc. to be able to compare them to the clearly defined EU classifications. How much exactly can e.g. a "light motor vehicle" weigh and how many persons are you allowed to transport in the respective vehicles? We would appreciate any advice as to where to find more detailed information on thi... See more
Does anyone know more about the classifications of cars in Indian driving licences? We need more precise definitions for Indian descriptions such as "light motor vehicle" or " medium passenger motor vehicle" etc. to be able to compare them to the clearly defined EU classifications. How much exactly can e.g. a "light motor vehicle" weigh and how many persons are you allowed to transport in the respective vehicles? We would appreciate any advice as to where to find more detailed information on this topic. Thank you very much in advance.Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
India "light motor vehicle" law Jun 8, 2006

I was away for the evening, but when I got back home I saw your question and decided to look into it...

I entered the heading of my post in Google (also see http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-29,GGLD:en&q=india%20"light%20motor%20vehicle"%20law ) and the se
... See more
I was away for the evening, but when I got back home I saw your question and decided to look into it...

I entered the heading of my post in Google (also see http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-29,GGLD:en&q=india%20"light%20motor%20vehicle"%20law ) and the second hit was for the Indian Motor Vehicle Act of 1988, of which Section 2 seems to contain the 'official' legal definitions of the terms you are looking for - if that isn't detailed enough, the site looks like it also contains a link to a legal helpline for this particular act (see http://www.helplinelaw.com/bareact/bact.php?no=01&dsp=motor-vehicle ).

But don't take my word for it - I'm not from India and I certainly don't pretend to even have a clue about their legal system. Perhaps some of our fine colleagues from India can help you further.

Good luck!

PS - I can't get the first link to work properly because it contains commas, but that doesn't matter; you can just copy and paste the heading of this post into a Google search or the link straight into your browser and you'll probably find what you need.

[Edited at 2006-06-08 23:32]
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Ministry of Transport Jun 9, 2006

Hi,
Here is the link to Transport Department, Government of India. There are lots of legal pages and other information... so may be u'll find what u r looking for.
Regards,
Ritu

[Edited at 2006-06-09 04:06]

LKraus (X)
LKraus (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 9, 2006

Thank you all very much for your advice, it was very helpful, we found what we needed!
Regards

[Edited at 2006-06-09 06:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Information on car classification in India

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »