Chemical Nomenclature Tables/Glossaries/Programs
Thread poster: Barbara Wiegel

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
English to German
+ ...
Jun 26, 2006

Hi everybody,

Does anybody - by any chance - know of a multilingual table or glossary on the names of chemical substances, compounds and the like?
I have to translate (EN-DE) one column after the other of chemical substances - ingredients in cosmetics and beauty products - and some of the English names cannot just be "transcribed" to German. A kind of 'conversion program' would be greatly appreciated...

My sister (who is a biotech engineer) told me these programs exist and can be purchased and installed (there was one at the lab where she used to work, for instance) but I figured there might be something similar available online (for free or not much money?). She said, you just had to insert the English name and the program delivered the equivalent German (or French or Spanish or whatever) name for it.

Anybody ever heard of such an online resource for chemical translation projects?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and have a good one!

Direct link Reply with quote
Cherepanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Local catalogues Jun 27, 2006

Hello Barbara,

International producers of chemicals and biochemicals issue catalogues with structural formulae and prices every year . These are Sigma, Aldrich, and especially Merck with its German origin in your case. Maybe it is expedient to apply for the catalogues to them. You could also ask your local headquater of these companies about such an info in German.

Good luck,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chemical Nomenclature Tables/Glossaries/Programs

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs