https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/50148-screenshot_of_trados_combining_and_separating_sentences.html

Screenshot of Trados combining and separating sentences
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2006

http://www.localizationworks.com/DRTOM/Trados/winalign1sm.gif

I found this interesting screenshot from Trados on-line. One of my hesitations about purchasing the software was the fear of not being able to translate in a free-flowing style (combining and separating sentences as needed).
This screenshot clearly shows how this is possible in Trados.
Oft
... See more
http://www.localizationworks.com/DRTOM/Trados/winalign1sm.gif

I found this interesting screenshot from Trados on-line. One of my hesitations about purchasing the software was the fear of not being able to translate in a free-flowing style (combining and separating sentences as needed).
This screenshot clearly shows how this is possible in Trados.
Often times (especially in German) a verb or phrase sitting alone on a line needs to be moved to the beginning of a sentence and PMs will question whether or not this appears in the translation. This program provides a clear graphic illustration of where the text has gone.

Now if they could just cut the price down to $199... I still cannot see paying $700 for software unless I get free or discounted upgrades in the future, especially considering how often this program appears to be updated.

[Edited at 2006-06-27 00:20]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I dislike long-distance alignment Jun 27, 2006

The screenshot shows how far away from each other the sentences are in Trados' alignment module. I really struggle to align texts in such an environment. To me, the source and target sentences must be as close to each other as possible otherwise my eyes get tired. This is why Wordfast's PlusTools' +Align aligner is so good for me -- it is simply a two-column MS Word table, with additional shortcuts that makes it easier to split and merge cells at specific points.

[Edited at 2006-06-27 07:10]

Elke Fehling
Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
I agree with Samuel... Jun 27, 2006

... What you see is a screenshot of the "Align" part of the Trados software, the part of the software that allows you to align source language and target language so that you can use the results with Trados in your future translations.

From what I know Trados doesn't really offer the possibility to split up sentences. For me this is only a minor thing, though. Trados offers so many possibilities, by I translate every single text using Trados.

Elke

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
winalign is no argument for (or against) buying TRADOS Jun 28, 2006

I have so far translated more than half a million words using TRADOS. The few times I found winalign useful was the european legislation, material safety data sheets and drug prescriptions, where (in all three cases) you are forced to a very rigid, concise and never-changing subset of the source and target langauges.

So ... why dont you check other features of this oh so expensive software? For me the most useful and practical sidekick is the concordance - like "I had something lik
... See more
I have so far translated more than half a million words using TRADOS. The few times I found winalign useful was the european legislation, material safety data sheets and drug prescriptions, where (in all three cases) you are forced to a very rigid, concise and never-changing subset of the source and target langauges.

So ... why dont you check other features of this oh so expensive software? For me the most useful and practical sidekick is the concordance - like "I had something like this before" thing. Of course you do not get this delivered with the license. It's your own compost heap taking shape (flavour;) and size.

PS: TRADOS does offer ways and means to split sentences - i.e. to segment the text according to other rules than periods and pararaphs. But the way I see it, there#s enough money to be made without going into pathological cases.

[Edited at 2006-06-28 22:11]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Screenshot of Trados combining and separating sentences

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »