Thread poster: Andrea Re

Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 1, 2006

Hi there,

I have a never endilng list of terms which I have to translate (and do a few operations with them, but that's another story) and I want to try to use (SHOCK HORROR!!!!!) a machine translator. The terms are very easy and all I need is the first meaning in the dictionary. Then I will have to do some manual editing, but at least I save myself hours of typing if I can do it automatically. I tried to use babelfish, but it changes the list into a "sentence" (ha ha). The super duper translator within word translate only into French or Spanish, but I am translating from English into Italian:(
Any ideas?

Andrea

Direct link Reply with quote

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:55
Russian to English
+ ...
MT Jul 1, 2006

[quote]Andrea Re wrote:

Hi there,

Any ideas?

Yep, don't look for the easy way out and WADE into that list. If the work could by done by MT, then the client could have done it himself.

MT is a 3-letter word (sux).

Having said alll that: www.worldlingo.com may be of some help.

Good luck with the assignment.

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It certainly sux.... Jul 1, 2006

... but for what I have to do it seems ideal.
However, wordlingo makes up phrases as well
They have a plugin, but only for word 2002
It looks as if I will have the chance to improve my typing skills:)

Andrea

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:55
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
get a demo version of Wordfast or TRADOS Jul 1, 2006

you may have to fight the learning curve but there's a lot of helpers here at hand.

re MT sux - if you try to translate Finnegans Wake. But otoh it helps - Id say a lot in your case.

Regards

vito

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have got Wordfast..... Jul 1, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

you may have to fight the learning curve but there's a lot of helpers here at hand.

.... but I don't see how it helps. i don't have repetitions... all I need is a way to look words up automatically in the dictionary

re MT sux - if you try to translate Finnegans Wake. But otoh it helps - Id say a lot in your case.

Regards

vito

Well.... probably even a translation in ancient chinese would help in that case

Cheers

Andrea

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Look up words in a dictionary... Jul 1, 2006

Its a hen and an egg / bootstrapping problem...

With Wordfast you can build up the dictionary while on the way. If you would like first to have the most common words translated, then you need the frequency of single words - hint: change all spaces to breaks and sort the file, then paste the column into excel (!) and use pivot table to get their frequencies (and I am sure there's easier ways to get it).
Then fill up the dictionary and pretranslate.

And if you need to translate a dictionary (g) , then have a look at glossposts, maybe there's something useful there (if the language pair is Albanian to Xosa, well then I dont know;)

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Use colons or full stops Jul 1, 2006

How about if you put colons or full stops after each word?

You could use the Word table maker to put the full stops in automatically in the first place. If the words are already in a table, then add another column on the right, choose 'table' - 'change' (don't know the exact English phrases in Word!) - 'table into text'. Then tell it to separate the text with full stops. You now have a list of words with a full stop after each.

Use the cheapo web translater to translate it, then put it back in Word. This time choose 'text into table' and tell it to separate the words after a full stop. You'll get a vertical list of words again.

---

Hee hee, I just tried it with German and it works, as far as MT can be said to work. Separated by full stops, "eggs. bacon. jam" got "Eier. Speck. Stau." (= "eggs. bacon. traffic jam"). With only spaces, "eggs bacon jam" returned "Eierspeckmarmalade" (a new kind of jam made of eggs and bacon!).

[Edited at 2006-07-01 18:58]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Use the cheapo web translater Jul 2, 2006

for instance

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Parpalhol  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast can help! Jul 2, 2006

Wordast can use any MT software integrated in Word. You just have to enter the contextual commmands you would normally use with the left button of the mouse.

Setting-up this function
=================

1- Open Wordfast
2- Go to Translation Memory > MT
3- Check "Menu, sub-menu for MT"
4- Enter "Contextual,translate" [w/o space]

(replace 'translate" by the command of the MT software you're using)
5- Chek it with the button "test"

Procedure
=======

Translate as usual with WF. If there is no 100% match in your TM, Wordfast will use your MT software.

Hope this will help!

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jul 2, 2006

A big thank you to Anne! Your suggestion worked a treat.

With regard to Wordfast, I couldn't find the relevant chapter in the manuals and I didn't quite understand the procedure If the MT to be used has to be included in Word, then probably it is not going to work anyway, because my Word XP doesn't have an Italian dictonary (to get the spell checher to work was a major endevour). More info would be gladly received because you never know when this info is going to be handy anyway.

Cheers,

Andrea

Parpalhol  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
More explanation about Wordfast and MT Jul 2, 2006

The procedure is detailed on pages 25 and 26 of the Wordfast user's manual 'English version) , assuming that you are using a 5.X version of the software.

I have used it myself with Systran and it has worked perfectly well.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I must be stupid:( Jul 2, 2006

....or else i have an older manual:). I am using the latest version of Wordfast, but the two manuals I have (beginners and intemediate) don't seem to mention this facility at all. I looked at page 25-26 of both, but no joy. What is the title of the relevant chapter (in case the layout is different)?

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Wordfast and MT compatibility Jul 4, 2006

Jean Michel Levain wrote:
The procedure is detailed on pages 25 and 26 of the Wordfast user's manual 'English version) , assuming that you are using a 5.X version of the software.

I have used it myself with Systran and it has worked perfectly well.

Jean-Michel statement above about having Wordfast v5.x is important. The MT compatibility feature in Wordfast was introduced with Wordfast v5.

Also note that his other statement higher in this thread about integration with Word. It is necessary to have MT product packages that include MS Office plug-ins. For example, for SYSTRAN products, this would include SYSTRAN Professional Premium, SYSTRAN Professional Standard, or SYSTRAN Office Translator. MS Office plug-in info is available in product comparison charts on the MT product web sites.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine translation of a list

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs