Mobile menu

More from the Google translation front
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:47
French to English
Jul 3, 2006

This excerpt from a talk with BBC News by Google's man in charge of internal engineering, Douglas Merrill:
"The Google executive said online language translation was important because the company's philosophy was to provide access to "all the world's information".

"We are doing a lot of work in our labs on mechanised translation," he said.

"It (search) should not be stuff in languages we just happen to speak right now." "

Direct link Reply with quote
Susanne Schnitzler  Identity Verified
English to German
May they do better work in the future ... Jul 3, 2006

than this one:

(Quote from my blog)

Online Direktübersetzung einer Webseite:

HerbstVerfassung Farbe Ansammlung 2001 christlichen (Firmenname) (Firmenname) Culte ist die Zunge-in-Backe und kennzeichnet Stimmung, Phantasie und Ungehörigkeit, sagt die Firma.

(/ Quote)

This is what Google "translated" on April, 13th, 2006. I did not intend to hit "Diese Seite übersetzen" but the outcome was outright funny. It was something about a new fragrance.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-07-03 18:34]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
tongue-in-cheek Jul 4, 2006

"Zunge-in-Backe" really takes the cake. Sometimes these machine translations really make me laugh, sometimes I'd rather cry... but anyway, I'll try to remember this one next time a client asks me to proofread his machine translated documents...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More from the Google translation front

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs