Mobile menu

The end of the hard drive?
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:55
French to English
Jul 11, 2006

In the midst of renewed speculation about Gdrive, our giga hard drives may soon be a thing of the past. Which raises the question: would you rather entrust your precious files to your computer or to Google's servers? Personally, I think they would be safer with Google, but what do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m stongly on the opposite side Jul 11, 2006

And I don´t assume my files safer by Google or elswhere in the world. Especially if this service should be provided for free. As we all know, there is noone in the world doing something (on this scale) for free - somehow he must get money for hardware and so on. What kind of privacy can be then offered, when the whole capital Google might have from such activities are e-mails or other data of the users?

While the prices for harddrives are dropping continously I do not see any reason to outsource the storage - when my HDD is full I can either copy the content on data DVDs (do not cost the world) or I buy another HDD (which way it will come even cheaper for MB). Look, a 300 GB HDD costs approx. 100 Euro or less.... Why should I then go to Google?

Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Perhaps not Jul 11, 2006

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:
what do you think?

That I love being a translator.
That (fortunately), I am familiar enough with the (IT) tools that are available to me and can assist me in doing what I so enjoy.
That I am able to use that technology moderately well.

That I do not 'know' Google.
That I am not familiar enough with their ideology and cannot therefore accurately assess what, if any, the consequences of entrusting myself to them might be in the long run.

That more than one hard drive is desirable.
That an external hard drive is essential.
That though I do not consider myself paranoid, the prospect of Big Brother is not overkill.

I can understand how the idea would be appealing to many. Personally, I'd rather have that kind of security (and control) in my own hands.
On a lighter though not totally OT note:

United Kingdom
Local time: 16:55
English to Italian
+ ...
How about confidentiality? Jul 11, 2006

I see your point but remember that our files are confidential (like doctors' or lawers' data - can you imagine a doctor storing his notes on a Google server?).
I translate a lot of legal and banking documents and storing these files on a public server would represent a breach of contract and ethics. External HD are the only solution.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I had to do without the Internet for two days... Jul 11, 2006

Recently I had to do without the Internet for two days!!

I was lucky - I was working on a large, but fairly conventional contract, so I survived with fax and my husband taking private mails on a 'chip' to send from his office.

I found I had some really good books on my shelves, which I began using again, and a lot of useful things I had forgotten in my local terminology bank. Must get more of it into Multiterm

But was I glad I had nearly all the resources I needed in the house! With lots of jobs I would still need the Net, and I'd go mad alone without Proz. and KudoZ, but I can cope for a while if I need to.

I have two computers and keep one largely for backup.
Masses of space for me on the two HDs, even if one is not large by present standards.

I've also just had a mail supposedly from a bank where I don't have an account, asking me to update my details... Phishing in short. You just can't be too careful with sensitive information out there. Unfortunately they don't all have the same ethical standards as professional translators

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, hard-drives and CD-ROMs are here to stay Jul 12, 2006

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:
Would you rather entrust your precious files to your computer or to Google's servers? Personally, I think they would be safer with Google, but what do you think?

All free services come to and end. Trust me... all do. And sooner or later you'll have to move your stuff from Gdrive to Mdrive to Ydrive to whatever anyway.

So keep on having hard drives and CD-ROMs, mate. They're good and comforting. If you're paranoid about data, make backups and keep them in other locations (in your mother's attic, for example).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The end of the hard drive?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs