Looking for online phrasebooks, multilingual dictionaries, and other resources
Thread poster: aurora81
aurora81
aurora81
English
Aug 22, 2006

Hi, as I am writing a thesis about online communities and knowledge in the field of language/translation, I am looking for several things:
- online multilingual dicctionaries
- online phrasebooks
- webpages, where translators and/or people that are interesting in translating meet
could you recommend me something? Thank you very much!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-08-22 13:47]

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:16
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Have you tried any search engines? Aug 22, 2006

Hi,
you gave yourself a rather tough task, as there are probably hundreds of thousands multingual dictionaries and phrasebooks on the web and you don't specify any language pair or field.
Good place to start with is Glosspost - a searchable list of sevaral thousand links.

You can also do a google search looking for "translators resources" or pages "for tra
... See more
Hi,
you gave yourself a rather tough task, as there are probably hundreds of thousands multingual dictionaries and phrasebooks on the web and you don't specify any language pair or field.
Good place to start with is Glosspost - a searchable list of sevaral thousand links.

You can also do a google search looking for "translators resources" or pages "for translators" - many freelancers publish their links collections on their pages.

As concerns translators portals: you're exactly there - ProZ.com is the one to recommend

Best,
Magda
Collapse

aurora81
aurora81
English
TOPIC STARTER
thx Aug 23, 2006

Thanks for the tip. I already tried google but your search terms are a good idea!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't forget this forum Aug 25, 2006

http://www.proz.com/forum/12

It has 51 pages of index.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for online phrasebooks, multilingual dictionaries, and other resources

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »