https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/54156-translating_bibliography.html

Translating bibliography?
Thread poster: Nina Spencer
Nina Spencer
Nina Spencer  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

I am translating a research paper. The text is made up of approx 6500 words and the bibligraphy is 3 pages. The list is made up of a mix of English, German, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish titles. Do I attempt to translate these or should I not leave then as their true original title?
What is the "official" practice?.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 14:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Leave it as it is Aug 29, 2006

Bibliography is a list of sources to be consulted: the person who wants to check a Danish original will need the original title etc.

Sometimes, when the paper is for a larger audience, it might make sense to add, in brackets, a translation or even some explanation on the character of that paper, but this is not a general requirement.

Eva

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Leave it! Aug 29, 2006

The original title must be used. Otherwise, you mislead the reader into thinking the work has been translated.
However, if the work cited in the bibliography is a translation, I look for the original title and publisher. For example, Italian bibliographies may cite an English work in translation. I look for the original and use that in the bibliography. A few months ago I had the citation "W. Shakespeare, "Giulietta e Romeo". Obviously I put "Romeo and Juliet"!
Catherine

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends (as always :-) ) Aug 29, 2006

This is something you have to agree upon with your customer.

For example, I translated articles for some magazines with a short bibliography and they asked me not to translate it, but to suggest, if possible, books on the same topic in the target language.

If the works are cited (with reference to certain pages) within a book that contains this bibliography, you absolutely have to keep the titles. Otherwise you would have to look up all quotations and correct the page n
... See more
This is something you have to agree upon with your customer.

For example, I translated articles for some magazines with a short bibliography and they asked me not to translate it, but to suggest, if possible, books on the same topic in the target language.

If the works are cited (with reference to certain pages) within a book that contains this bibliography, you absolutely have to keep the titles. Otherwise you would have to look up all quotations and correct the page numbers etc. Often it is even important what edition of a work is mentioned.

If the customer wants you to do this, then you should agree on the price for such work (a kind of research bonus) since this is not part of a translation.

What you have to translate are the describing terms in the Bibliography (pages, pp., cit., etc.) and perhaps you may have to localize the bibliography style, since there may be different styles for different countries. But this again should be discussed with your client.
Collapse

Liliana Ayllon
Liliana Ayllon  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Leave it as it is Aug 29, 2006

Just as cbolton and Eva say, you should leave the bibliography as it is in the original so that readers can find the references. Otherwise it would be impossible to find the original texts.

But I think that you can provide only the translation of the title of the referenced document since this is the information readers need to decide if they want to look for the referenced book or not.

Good luck!

Liliana Ayllón

MMUlr
MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nothing to add! Aug 29, 2006

Eva Blanar wrote:

Bibliography is a list of sources to be consulted: the person who wants to check a Danish original will need the original title etc.

Sometimes, when the paper is for a larger audience, it might make sense to add, in brackets, a translation or even some explanation on the character of that paper, but this is not a general requirement.

Eva

MMUlr

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:05
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
leave it as it is Aug 29, 2006

Nina Spencer wrote:
What is the "official" practice?.

leave it as it is,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating bibliography?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »