Mobile menu

\'FONETICAL\' Russian keyboard Win98 exists?
Thread poster: xxxmeenk
xxxmeenk
Local time: 10:33
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2001

If you use a \'FONETICAL\' keyboard for Russian you can type as fast in Russian as you can in English/other Western European. If you use an English keyboard for English and a \'TYPEWRITER\' keyboard for Russian you get a mess. If we had a \'fonetical\' Russian keyboard Win98/2000 (works with any word processor and with databases on Internet, useful for looking up Russian-English) we would have solved a problem. In the old days (Chiwriter, Wp5.1 for DOS) you could put your letters where you wanted them. The key question would seem to be: can we do the same with the keyboards (not only the English and Russian ones but many others) of Windows 98/2000 etc?

My e-mail address is: michiel.meenk@wanadoo.nl

Direct link Reply with quote

Ekaterina I.
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Russian alphabet input Nov 15, 2001

The solution for the problem might look like this:

You download some cyrillic converter I would advise www.cirilica.ru, to my opinion it is the best one.

Type using the English keyboard and alphabet (transliteration) and convert the text in cyrillic.

It will require a revision, no eto pustiaki.

Regards

Alex Lane  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Phonetic keyboard is available at... Nov 16, 2001

Actually, if one learns to type using a \"standard\" Cyrillic layout, one can type as fast as you can using any other kind of layout.

In fact, I would argue that a phonetic Cyrillic layout promotes bad habits, but few people are interested in such discussions.

If you want a keyboard file to replace the Windows \"standard\" Cyrillic layout with a phonetic one, I have one available on my web site (www.galexi.com/words/) as freeware. It\'s been successfully used at JSC (NASA), and extensively at that, so you should not have any problems.

If you want a fully customizable keyboard, do a search for \"Janko\'s Keyboard Generator\" on the Web. It should still be available out there, somewhere, and it\'s free to use for non-commercial purposes (or a modest registration fee otherwise).

Cheers...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\'FONETICAL\' Russian keyboard Win98 exists?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search