\'FONETICAL\' Russian keyboard Win98 exists?
Thread poster: meenk (X)
meenk (X)
meenk (X)
Local time: 19:33
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2001

If you use a \'FONETICAL\' keyboard for Russian you can type as fast in Russian as you can in English/other Western European. If you use an English keyboard for English and a \'TYPEWRITER\' keyboard for Russian you get a mess. If we had a \'fonetical\' Russian keyboard Win98/2000 (works with any word processor and with databases on Internet, useful for looking up Russian-English) we would have solved a problem. In the old days (Chiwriter, Wp5.1 for DOS) you could put your letters where you wante... See more
If you use a \'FONETICAL\' keyboard for Russian you can type as fast in Russian as you can in English/other Western European. If you use an English keyboard for English and a \'TYPEWRITER\' keyboard for Russian you get a mess. If we had a \'fonetical\' Russian keyboard Win98/2000 (works with any word processor and with databases on Internet, useful for looking up Russian-English) we would have solved a problem. In the old days (Chiwriter, Wp5.1 for DOS) you could put your letters where you wanted them. The key question would seem to be: can we do the same with the keyboards (not only the English and Russian ones but many others) of Windows 98/2000 etc?

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Collapse

Ekaterina I.
Ekaterina I.
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Russian alphabet input Nov 15, 2001

The solution for the problem might look like this:

You download some cyrillic converter I would advise www.cirilica.ru, to my opinion it is the best one.

Type using the English keyboard and alphabet (transliteration) and convert the text in cyrillic.

It will require a revision, no eto pustiaki.

Regards

Alex Lane
Alex Lane  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Phonetic keyboard is available at... Nov 16, 2001

Actually, if one learns to type using a \"standard\" Cyrillic layout, one can type as fast as you can using any other kind of layout.

In fact, I would argue that a phonetic Cyrillic layout promotes bad habits, but few people are interested in such discussions.

If you want a keyboard file to replace the Windows \"standard\" Cyrillic layout with a phonetic
... See more
Actually, if one learns to type using a \"standard\" Cyrillic layout, one can type as fast as you can using any other kind of layout.

In fact, I would argue that a phonetic Cyrillic layout promotes bad habits, but few people are interested in such discussions.

If you want a keyboard file to replace the Windows \"standard\" Cyrillic layout with a phonetic one, I have one available on my web site (www.galexi.com/words/) as freeware. It\'s been successfully used at JSC (NASA), and extensively at that, so you should not have any problems.

If you want a fully customizable keyboard, do a search for \"Janko\'s Keyboard Generator\" on the Web. It should still be available out there, somewhere, and it\'s free to use for non-commercial purposes (or a modest registration fee otherwise).

Cheers...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\'FONETICAL\' Russian keyboard Win98 exists?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »