Mobile menu

TeX to Word conversion / word count for LaTeX documents
Thread poster: Sarah Brenchley

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2002

Does anyone know of any programmes which will convert TeX files to MS Word format?

I\'ve tried using TeX2Word but it always blocks a couple of hundred lines in and Word crashes.

It\'s basically so that I can do a word count of .tex documents.

Direct link Reply with quote

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Via html using NoteTab + latexpie Oct 2, 2002

This sounds a little bit roundabout, but I found it to be quick and easy, provided that you have a good LaTeX-to-html program. I used the NoteTab library \"latexpie\" (NoteTab is available at http://www.notetab.com and the LaTeX libraries of NoteTab are at http://www.notetab.com/tex.htm The freeware version of NoteTab is adequate for using latexpie.

With these utilities, the conversion to html just took one click and worked like a dream. I then opened the resulting html document in the browser, selected the whole thing, copied it, and pasted into a new Word document.

Good luck, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I need a TeX programme installed? Oct 3, 2002

Thanks for your reply GoodWords. I saw your name several times when I was searching for help on LaTeX.

My next question is:

I already use NoteTabPro, and I\'ve downloaded and installed TexPie but am not sure what to do next. Does it need a TeX application installed on my computer to work?

Samy Boutayeb  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Ktexmaker2 / Kile for Linux Oct 3, 2002

Hi Sarah,

If you have acces to a Linux based computer, I recommend you Ktexmaker2 (renamed Kile for the desktop environment KDE3). It\'s a powerfull integrated LaTeX environnement for KDE. This all in one application enables you to edit your documents, generate the DVI output as well as the Postscript, PDF, HTML variants, and visualise them in a userfriendly GUI.

Additionaly, you can link your dictionaries with your documents, using Qwordtrans or a similar dictionary application.

As for Linux, a valuable alternative to have a Linux OS installed on your hard disk is to use a live Linux distribution running from your CD drive. For example, Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/)), with Kile, enables you to edit your files on your HD, while running from the CD.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TeX to Word conversion / word count for LaTeX documents

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs