Industry Periodicals
Thread poster: Francisco Pavez
Francisco Pavez  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 7, 2006

I have worked in Defence, in the Oil & Gas Industry, in Construction. I have done Purchasing, Production Planning, Customer Service, etc. etc. etc.

The point is not to publish a resume, but this. In every one of these industries and endeavours there is a periodical publication dealing with issues directly related to the work at hand. I have freelancing for 8 years now and I have just realized that I am not aware of any periodicals directly related to translating or interpreting.

There are plenty of newsletters, posts, article archives, blogs, forae, etc., but I have not found a periodical like Jane's Defence Weekly, Oil & Gas Journal, Obras, or anything of the sort.

Please, someone tell me if I have just not been looking in the right places or if my observation is correct.

Saludos a todos,

Yo

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:33
German to English
+ ...
Translators' associations Sep 7, 2006

Most translators' associations publish a regular journal.

Marc

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
A slight matter of profitability Sep 7, 2006

Francisco,

There have been a number of language industry periodicals over the years and decades, ranging from Language International and Language Today (both defunct) through to Multilingual Computing, which is still going strong.

The main reason for the demise of almost all of the "neutral" or "commercial" publications, meaning those not published by associations or lobby groups, was simply a lack of subscribers willing to pony up more than thruppence a year. Plus the fact that, by the time the copies got to the subscribers, they'd read the news etc. weeks before online.

Of course the opinion pieces were often very enjoyable, and sometimes even educational, but not enough to hold a sustainable subscriber base. There are certainly also learned journals out there, too, in many languages and on many topics, ranging from "translatology" (whatever that is) through applied linguistics down to cross-cultural studies. But these hardly fall into the category of "industry" or "professional" magazines.

There was also a more recent attempt to revive the concept of a print magazine for translators, but as its website says that the next issue is April 2005, it looks it's also gone into the big mulcher in the sky (anybody have more info here?):

http://www.translatingtoday.com/current.html

I've long nurtured the theory that the vast majority of translators aren't willing to pay more than 30 currency units for just about anything, and I think that the lack of industry publications may just back it up...

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I read books instead Sep 8, 2006

I sometimes wish the IoL (now CIoL) would send out 'The Linguist' more often than 6 times a year. But if it came out more often, there might not actually be more good material, and there would not be more time to read it...

You can subscribe without being a member BTW.

I make a point of reading books on translation. Peter Newmark (who has a regular page in The Linguist, as well as several books) is very readable in small doses, but I find him too intense for extended reading. No problem - he writes quite short chapters on the whole.

I have read Basil Hatim, David Crystal, and Swales and Feak among others in the last couple of years, as well as several Danish authors who are very interesting and worthwhile, but you would probably find it easier to read authors in your own language(s) .

Andrew Dalby, Tom McArthur... Your old teachers from university??? There is plenty of literature about.

You do have to go to a library or bookshop, but even those are accessible over the Net these days!

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:33
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
There are some on the Internet Sep 8, 2006

Check out this one: http://www.translatortips.com/

Francisco Pavez  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank y'all Sep 8, 2006

Thanks to all. I have checked out the links and references provided and I see that I have been looking in the wrong places.

I've always been partial to the magazine format because it provides concise and very often useful information. Whenever I do run into something that peaks my interest or requires a more in-depth look of course I dig a little more, but most often the article is enough for the task at hand.

Reading editorials can be boring and at best funny. They give a sense of the current trends and opinions in the industry. Not that you have to agree or follow them, it just lets you know where you are standing.

In my 8 years of freelancing I've pretty much drifted until I found the translator portals. The forum discussions and the article archives have been very useful. For one thing, now I know that my original rate in 1998 of USD$5.00 per page was ridiculously low. Here, also, I learned about CAT and other applications that have been an enormous help; before that I was the master of cut-and-paste.

It is a pity that it has taken me this long to find all of this. In the 12 or 18 months that I'vee been around here I have increased my productivity and my income beyond anything I could have imagined, just because I did not have the tools.

Thank you all again.

Read you later

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
German to English
+ ...
ATA Chronicle Sep 12, 2006

http://www.atanet.org/publications/chronicle.php

I recommend the ATA Chronicle. It has a mix of informative articles - some for beginners and some for experts - plus dictionary reviews, a term query column, etc. Very good publication.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Find out from a university library Sep 12, 2006

Francisco Pavez wrote:
There are plenty of newsletters, posts, article archives, blogs, forae, etc., but I have not found a periodical like Jane's Defence Weekly, Oil & Gas Journal, Obras, or anything of the sort.

There are quite a few, but not always about translation only. Ask a university library where translation studies is taught... libraries often subcribe to journals even if none of their students ever read them, but it'll give you an idea of what is available. Journals on communication and linguistics may also be useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Industry Periodicals

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs