Voice recognition software
Thread poster: Silvina Matheu

Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:22
English to Spanish
Sep 7, 2006

Hi!

I need to buy a voice recognition software. Which one would you recommend?

I am using Microsoft programs, TRADOS and SDLX.

TIA

Silvina

Direct link Reply with quote

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hola Silvina Sep 7, 2006

I ve got Dragon Naturally Speaking, but i never tried you.

just sent you an e-mail.

Alicia

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
sorry Sep 7, 2006

never tried it.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon... Sep 8, 2006

...is probably the best known.

I bought it, and it's very easy to learn to use, although training is slow if you don't persist.

You need a lot of memory apparanetly.

It works fine with Trados.

Ailish:-)

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
? Sep 8, 2006

have you found that "Dragon" can be used together with Trados?

Is it that helpful?

Alicia

Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:22
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Dragon and Trados Sep 8, 2006

I have used Dragon Preferred 8 with Trados for some time. It is generally very good, but you do need to invest some time in training it to recognise your voice. Eventually, spending this time and effort means you can work much more quickly than by typing, unless you are a really fast and accurate typist.
You need at least 512k memory to use it with Trados. I use 768k and it is fine, except that sometimes it can be slow when the documents are very large. In this case I use the Dragonpad (a built in word processor) as it is much faster, and then copy and paste the text into Word. This is more work, but still faster than typing.
You might find that the standard microphone supplied is not very good. I bought a more expensive directional microphone, and accuracy increased significantly.

HTH,

Ronnie.

The memory should of course be 512 / 768 MB

[Edited at 2006-09-08 08:22]

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Wait for Windows Vista Sep 8, 2006

I hear the new OS will have a built-in speech recognition module in some of its flavours.

As for DNS, I agree with Ronnie.
I have been using 8 Preferred (about 200€) in FR with or without Trados for 1.5 years and I am pleased with it. You can't expect a faultless result overnight (or ever even), but with a bit of patience and perserverence, it relieved me from "typing stress": typing 30-40 wpm with 6 fingers (the 4 others are apparently there for balance only) in a self-taught freestyle requires a lot of concentration... and it is exhausting.

I am not sure it saves as much time as it claims overall, but I find I now work more comfortably, ie spine leaned back most of the time instead of always hunched over the keyboard. And less stress. And maybe around 20% improvement in my daily output.

You can enter text in any editing program/input box.

As for RAM, I have 1024MB and it's enough. You need a decent sound card and a quality headset. I bought myself a sleek monaural Plantronics after I broke the one supplied.

tom_michell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking 8 Sep 8, 2006

I have been using the basic version of Dragon Naturally Speaking 8 for about 6 months. I can type at about 35-40wpm and found that Dragon speeded things up a lot, even taking editing into account.

I would say it takes no more than an hour to set up and do basic training before it starts being useful and accuracy has steadily improved to a high level as the software is continuously adapting to the user.

So, I'm very pleased with it and it takes a lot of strain off your hands.

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tried with German but did not like it Sep 8, 2006

2 years ago I have tried Dragon for translations into German but the German voice recognition was quite bad. I have a trained, clear voice but even after long sessions of training the program mixed up many of the sounds. So for me it was a very frustrating experiment.

Whatever the experiences of those translating into English are, you have to try for yourself, how well Dragon is adapted for the language you wish to translate into.

Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everybody!! Sep 8, 2006

Thank you all for your tips.

I can see now that I'll have to increase memory in my pc first.

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I am not sure it saves as much time as it claims overall, but I find I now work more comfortably, ie spine leaned back most of the time instead of always hunched over the keyboard. And less stress. And maybe around 20% improvement in my daily output.

Yes, Philippe, this is my intention too. Need to reduce stress on my shoulders and back. It's worth a try

Regards,

S

Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
DNS Sep 12, 2006

Hi Silvina

I have DNS 6 which for me works fine, usually combine with DVX. I find it works less well with Trados but one can cut and paste and edit the paragraph in the meantime which is also helpful.

Good luck!
Jason.

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
MS voice recognition doesn't stack up. Sep 23, 2006

[quote]Philippe Etienne wrote:

I hear the new OS will have a built-in speech recognition module in some of its flavours.

I have the new MS Windows Tablet PC edition, and it has the voice recognition they are adding to Windows Vista. It's really not that bad, but I found it to be very low on medical vocabulary. I use Dragon 8.0 Professional Edition and it picked up "anterior spondylolisthesis" the first time (as well as many other words that are easier to write than pronounce well). The training took a while, but that was 9 months ago and I would say it was definitely worth it. Be sure to use a good microphone, though. I was about to throw the thing into my "overpriced, underused software" drawer before I tried a better microphone. Turns out it was my mike, and not the software that ended up in the obsolete bin.

Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both Jasons Sep 24, 2006

...for the tips. I can see medical terms may be a problem, but I was told DNS last version works perfectly with Spanish. So I'll try.
Regards,
Silvina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice recognition software

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs