Mobile menu

\"Middle European Font\" setting
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:50
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2002

The company informs me that I should set the font in the control panel under display and appearances to Middle European, however, in the US the font field is inactive/grayed out in that window. The font selected will be what Windows works with internally, the fixedsys font.

Just an update. I can\'t believe I am having all these problems.

Y.

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Start/Parameters/Configuratuion Panel/ Oct 3, 2002

Add or Delete programs/Installation of Windows/Multilingual support

I put these fonts on my French windows today - if the English names are not 100% OK you can guess why.

HTH

Attila

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What Windows do you use? Oct 3, 2002

Without hawving this \"little\" bit of information no support is possible.

But you could check the MS Knowledge Base on their homepage. It is usually a big help.

Jerzy

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Middle European fonts supplied from vendor, but uninstallable. Oct 3, 2002

Two set of Middle European fonts were e-mailed me today from the vendor, i.e., MS Seriff and Tahoma, with the suggestion that I remove and replace the preinstalled similar fonts under Control Panel / Fonts. However, there is a snag: Fonts cannot be removed or deleted in US-based Windows XP or ME, as they are write protected. I\'d rather also not mess up these fonts in case they are needed for other programs in an intact manner, e.g., suppose I suddenly wanted to type English in those fonts, and it all came up \"Middle-European\"-garbled.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Language/Country settings Oct 4, 2002

In XP there must be something called \"Country settings\" in your controll panel. There you can advice Windows to use the code page 1250 - ANSI Central Europe. After that you should be able to use central european fonts in your applications.

Beside this, I would select the old 852 Latinn II code page too.

I assume, it all concerns your newly bought electronic dictionary, doesn´t show Czech characters. In my dictionary I have an option for selecting fonts - it is called \"Environment settings\". Perhaps your dictionary has ist too.

Jerzy

PS

You cannot deinstall fonts like Tahoma, because they are used by the system, so if you try to delete them or to overwrite them in Windows, you´ll allways get an error message. If you want to force this, you need to boot the system with a disk to DOS and manually copy (replace or overwrite) those fonts - but I wouldn´t try to do this. You could possibly harm your system.

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Patching things up! Oct 5, 2002

>>I assume, it all concerns your newly bought electronic dictionary, doesn´t show Czech characters. In my dictionary I have an option for selecting fonts - it is called \"Environment settings\". Perhaps your dictionary has ist too.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not use any Czech dictionaries Oct 6, 2002

I´m using only Polish, German and English dictionary - it comes from LEXLAND (www.lexland.com.pl).

It is quite flexible and lets you set the fonts you need. Surely you must have the propoer code page ore some east fonts installed on your system, and not everything will be showed properly, ie. the help files are shown with corrupted fonts - but the main window and all vocabulary has the right characters, and that is enough.

By the way, I´m working with Windows 2000 Pro on my PC and Win XP Home on my notebook.

Best

Jerzy

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sundry items. Oct 6, 2002

In response to the above answer: Yes, the main window displays okay, it is the input and alphabetical word listing fields that will not display right, even when you select Czech keyboard display from the tool bar or Control Panel/keyboard. The whole search engine gets corrupted due to the fact that it is apparently supposed to be driven internally by a M-E font and my machine is not.

Incidentally, I was also trying to obtain a general Polish-English-Polish e-dictionary from Lexland, but they don\'t have it yet, although it is scheduled for release this month. They do have a technical one ready, though, and a German suite.

Moreover, it would also be nice to have a morphological analyzer for some of the Slavic eastern European languages, i.e., you type in a word as it occurs (however metamorphosed when inserted in an actual sentence), and the program will yield its base (lexical, canonical) form. The only language for which I have encountered such an ingenious system is Finnish. It seems, however, an obvious thing to develop for these highly inflected languages.

Has it been done, will it be?

Yngve

The ME font problem seems to have been solved by now, for anybody interested, for Windows XP, while ME still exhibits some obstacles, by selecting Regional and Language Settings in the Control Panel, then selecting Advanced and scroll down to Czech. The undesired by-product of this is that other programs can be affected thereby, e.g., most of my Scandinavian dictionaries now display í where there should have been an a with a circle on top.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-03 13:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-03 13:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-03 13:33 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Middle European Font\" setting

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs