Mobile menu

English translation of the Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (German Civil Code) now available on the web
Thread poster: Steffen Walter

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:06
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 12, 2006

Hi all,

Following my recent posting in the German forum, I would like to let you all know (especially the "legal eagles" amongst us) that the German Civil Code (Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch) has been translated into English in its entirety and is now available at

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_bgb/englisch_bgb.html - also as a downloadable PDF at http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_bgb/german_civil_code.pdf
(as amended on 19 April 2006)

The original (and prevailing) German version is accessible at
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bgb/BJNR001950896.html / downloadable PDF at http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bundesrecht/bgb/gesamt.pdf
(as amended on 14 August 2006)

Best regards and happy translating,

Steffen

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:06
German to English
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 12, 2006

Thank you, Steffen. I was just looking for this a week ago!

FAGN  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Sep 12, 2006

Very impressive. Thanks for that!

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Alignment? Sep 12, 2006

Thank you, Steffen!

I am just wondering if there will be any alignment of the BGB original and the translation to put it into a CAT tool. Is anybody into this detail?

Carsten

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jealous! Sep 12, 2006

We Dutch translators have to make do with (second-hand)looseleaf editions (as keeping it up-to-date is a price only lawyers practising law can afford) of just a part of the Civil Code in English (business law) - as far as I am aware at least.
Will put it in my favourites, as there may be concepts that are comparable and I'd like to know how the German/English translation solved these. I wish I knew more about German civil law though.
Anjo

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
realignment - Im in the middle of it Sep 13, 2006

- anybody interested drop me a note

[EDIT] have books 1,2,3 & 5 committed by now. Time to think of copyright issues ... My work is for free, but this may not apply to texts involved. Would appreciate clarification.

[Edited at 2006-09-13 10:21]

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Translation no good... Sep 25, 2006

"Auf Grund von Mängeln der von einem externen Übersetzerteam zugelieferten Übersetzung sah sich das Bundesministerium der Justiz leider gezwungen, die Übersetzung aktuell nicht weiter bereitzustellen. Wir bitten um Verständnis."

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ouch! Sep 27, 2006

Hi Anne,

I must admit that I haven't had an in-depth look at the parallel versions yet. That said, I am a bit astonished to learn this as I know at least two of the translation team members to be very experienced (native English) legal translators ... Go figure ...

Steffen

Breezejoe
English
+ ...
Unavailable to download the english translation now.. Mar 24, 2007

It seems that the English translatio of Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch has been withdrawn and now is unavailable on line. Could anyone kindly send me such English version since I am working on the new Chinese Property Law. Thanks in advance! (My email: Breezejoe@hotmail.com)

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-24 03:40]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
for an aligned version of the material discussed... Mar 24, 2007

go visit my profile here:

www.proz.com/profile/91005

There's a link for the download there.

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English translation of the Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (German Civil Code) now available on the web

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs