Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2006

I was browsing through the Wikipedia and found this page:

List of Latin phrases (A–E)–E)#A

It's a list of Latin phrases and their meaning. It links to other sections of the alphabet:

List of Latin phrases (F–O)–O)

List of Latin phrases (P–Z)–Z)

Hope it helps!

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 15, 2006

Several years ago I bought "Latin for the Illiterati", by Jon R. Stone. It's a great reference book!
ISBN: 0415922119
Here's a link to the page on Amazon, in case anyone is interested:

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
quid pro quo Sep 16, 2006

I was in Lisbon in early September and went out to dinner with my wonderful colleagues Manuel and Nazare. Among many things we discussed was that Latin phrases, which crop up fairly frequently in our work, have evolved to have different meanings.

I had always assumed that among academics "Latin is Latin," but one example they mentioned was quid pro quo. If I understood it correctly, in Portuguese, this means a mixup, "taking or mistaking this for that," not a fair exchange or the object of compensation in a give-and-take relationship. I wonder how many more Latin phrases have undergone such modifications.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lists of Latin phrases

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs