Thread poster: Tony M

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:21
French to English
+ ...
Sep 18, 2006

Any comments / help appreciated!

At the moment, I mainly use the Robert et Collins "Super Senior" 2-volume paper dictionary, but for health reasons I need to go over to something on CD-ROM (lifting the heavy volumes is bad for my damaged back!)

Now I know that Harrap's has been available for sometime, but frankly, I don't very much care for their dictionary. So I was very pleased when I saw that the R+C one was now out on CD-ROM — well, except that quite a lot of buyer feedback I read online was very ciritcal of certain flaws in the search facilities (not the lexocigraphy itself!).

Coincidentally (or not), I also noticed it was out of stock at the publishers — and a new version was due out, but apparently not yet available. Could it be they fixed the bugs?!

Before I take the plunge and fork out for it, I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of this dico, either in the old (flawed?) version or in the latest revision?

And also, if anyone knows of perhaps a better alternative available...?

[Edited at 2006-09-18 17:15]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-09-18 22:53]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxdf49f
France
electronic R&C Sep 18, 2006

Hi Tony
I bought it about 6 months ago (at my local Fnac in France - version 1.1 for PC & Mac).
I don't use it very extensively, but whenever I have, I found it easy to use (you just type in the first letters and the search automatically goes down the alphabetical list as you do), with many examples of occurrences and phrases, and for the time being no linguistic mistakes. Have not yet found any "bugs" that would have bugged me!
I also have the Harrap cd-rom (Harrap's Unabridged PRO). OK too, but (again based on not very frequent use) I think I find the R&C more user-friendly. I generally use both when I need to resort to a dico.
If they're getting ready to release a new version, it might be a good idea to wait until then.
Bonne soirée!

dominique (aka the non-paying scum (ab)uZer who will refrain from answering any more kudoz questions from now on since the value we add by providing free-of-charge help to paying members/askers - and therefore attracting new ones prepared to pay for our free help -, along with our non-payer's opinion seem to be worthless and unappreciated)

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
German to English
+ ...
Collins Robert Sep 18, 2006

I have the Collins Robert, also use it infrequently but didn't notice any bugs. I also have Harraps but it's incredibly slow to look up a word - I think it's basically to do with the software interface (really wasn't that practical). Larousse also has a CD dictionary which isn't that bad.

Good luck!

Sarah

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
French to English
Collins Robert Sep 18, 2006

I use it a lot... including the search features. I have not had any problems and definitely like the user interface.

I also have Larousse-Chambers installed and use it occaisionaly. I don't list the interface as well as C+R, but seems basicly to be a solid option.

I've never tried Harraps.

At one point I thought Oxford-Hachette was going to come out with a CD version but I didn't hear anything and stopped listening.

There is also a Petit Robert on CD-ROM that is very nice.

Bruce

Aurélie DANIEL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
R+C, no problem Sep 19, 2006

Hi Tony,

I have been using it a lot for the past three years, and I haven't noticed any problems with the search fonction.

What problems exactly were those users talking about?

Cheers

Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
I'll give it the thumbs up Sep 19, 2006

Hi Dusty,

I bought a copy of the R&C CD just over a year ago from the local FNAC, and ever since it has proved a great help. I just wish I'd bought it sooner. I've saved so much time, so personally I think it's well worth the investment. You can also search for all occurrences of a word, which is not possible when using the paper dictionary.

I've only really encountered one bug. Normally, you start typing the word on the left, and the definitions appear on the right. Well, on the odd occasion, the definitions side remains blank, and the only solution is to shut down and restart the program. Having said that, it takes barely a second for the program to start, so it's not terribly annoying. I've tried searching for fixes on the Internet, but there do not seem to be any available, but like I said, it's a very minor problem. The only other pain is that once in a while, it asks you to insert the CD (just to make sure you're not using a pirated copy), but really I'm just splitting hairs. I'd definitely recommend it. As for any other bugs, I'm not aware of any.

Good luck,

Simon

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:21
French to English
Been using one for years Sep 19, 2006

I'm on my 2nd Coll-Rob on CD-Rom (the first wasn't compatible with Windows XP when I bought a new laptop).

Mine actually appears to be published by "Softissismo", and is version 2 of that s/w, which calls its Lexibase Pro. But nonetheless it's still basically the CD version of the Coll-Rob paper dict.

I think it's bloody marvellous and use it all the time. I don't use advanced search functions, I prefer to scroll down the headword entry.

The only bug I've found is misplaced links: if you're looking up one of those "aaaa de bbbb" things under the wrong headword, it provides a link to the right headword, but every so often it doesn't. Not exactly insurmountable.

I guess it could make you a bit 'lazy', but I think it's great.

Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Hachette-Oxford Sep 19, 2006

Bruce Popp wrote:

At one point I thought Oxford-Hachette was going to come out with a CD version but I didn't hear anything and stopped listening.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I have a CD-Rom version of the Grand Dictionnaire Hachette-Oxford. It looks like it was released in 2003. I use it because it is MUCH quicker to search on the pc than it is to search manually through the RC paper dictionary. It includes some expressions that do not appear in RC Senior, but the reverse also applies.
Tony, I would definitely invest in the RC CD-Rom if I were you... I think I will too!

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Lexibase Pro + Le Grand RC 1.1 Sep 19, 2006

I have both. Lexibase Pro is really user friendly but not nearly as complete as RC 1.1.

RC 1.1 is not the user-friendliest CD-ROM I have ever used, but you do get used to it and the entries are very complete.

For a good all-around dictionary, I would recommend RC 1.1 or new version if they have one. Maybe it will be better in terms of the user interface and search capabilities.

Good luck!

Sara

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
me too Sep 19, 2006

I've got the Collins-Robert Comprehensive/Super Senior (same thing, as I'm sure you know) on CD-ROM and it's fine - certainly on a par with the paper version.

I can think of a few ways in which the interface could be improved to make it better than the paper version (remembering previous searches like a web browser, for one thing) but it is perfectly useable and thus useful.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We've arrived at a parlous state on KudoZ... Sep 19, 2006

df49f wrote:
dominique (aka the non-paying scum (ab)uZer who will refrain from answering any more kudoz questions from now on since the value we add by providing free-of-charge help to paying members/askers - and therefore attracting new ones prepared to pay for our free help -, along with our non-payer's opinion seem to be worthless and unappreciated)

I am deeply saddened by your closing remark; your contributions during the time I have been on KudoZ have been invaluable, dare I say PRICELESS?

It is sad indeed that those 'ordinary members' of ProZ who have now been demoted to secondary citizens as 'non-members' should be thus undervalued and indeed penalized.

Is it to late to save ProZ from itself? Those of us who care need to rally and make our voices heard — but in another forum, please, as there are several threads already on the go about this one.

Dear Dominique, please use your 'dashboard' to at least make sure you are flagging MY questions (even if you prefer to answer them privately!)

Thanks to the other very helpful contributors to this thread; I'll be watching for further posts over the next few days, but I think you've given me the re-assurance I was looking for...

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here are some comments I found online Sep 20, 2006

Here are some comments that I found from one of the big online retailer's sites:

Le meilleur dictionnaire bilingue !,
10 Mar 2006
Commentaire de : M. Jean-charles Perquin (Villeurbanne, France)

Malgré les commentaires mitigés que j'ai pu lire ici et là sur ce dictionnaire électronique, j'en ai fait l'acquisition, tout simplement pour des raisons professionnelles.
Franchement, même si l'interface est parfois un peu imparfaite, l'ensemble est excellent et je n'ai aucun regret quant à mon achat. C'est indubitablement le meilleur dictionnaire bilingue anglais/français !
Tout va très vite et on a rapidement accès au(x) sens qu'on cherche. A acheter les yeux fermés !

Quelques problèmes,
21 Nov 2005
Commentaire de : EyesWideShut (Japan)
Le Grand Robert et Collins part sur de bonnes bases. La richesse de son vocabulaire et de ses expressions, la qualite des traductions sont les fondations solides sur lesquelles repose cet outil.
Cependant dans sa version logiciel, il y a plusieurs problemes qui rendent l'outil beaucoup moins seduisant

- la recherche: alors qu'elle pourrait permettre de retrouver un mot (une expression) dans tout le dictionnaire, la recherche n'est pas pratique et fonctionne mal (sans parler des bogues)
- il y a egalement quelques bogues dans la navigation (voire dans sa conception!) qui "surprennent" l'utilisateur et rendent le dictionnaire peu pratique en general.
- il faut inserer le CD de temps en temps pour verification ; ca arrive bien sur au moment ou vous telephonez avec un client en anglais et vous avez besoin d'une traduction rapide

Malheureusement (le support me l'a confirme) il n'y a pas de telechargement possible pour corriger les bogues (voire la conception) ; et l'on doit rester avec cette version peu pratique ad vitaem...

Un mauvais logiciel,
22 Oct 2005
Commentaire de : Un client
Ce logiciel n'est pas au point. Je l'ai installé sur mon Mac il y six mois, et maintenant il ne veut plus s'ouvrir, même avec le CD-ROM chargé.

Outil inutilisable sous Mac,
11 avril 2005
Commentaire de : "kokouro"
Sous Mac, le Robert & Collins est un outil déplorable : pas de fonction hyperappel, pas de recherche plein texte (le comble pour un dictionnaire électronique !!!) et beaucoup de bugs. Sous Windows, je préfère le dictionnaire Softissimo Collins, beaucoup plus ergonomique et efficace.

Un merveilleux outil, vite devenu indispensable,
10 Mar 2005
Commentaire de : "hannied" - Voir tous mes commentaires
Voici quelques jours que j'ai reçu en cadeau ce dictionnaire. Comment ai-je pu m'en passer pendant tant d'années, je me le demande. Je ne pourrais plus faire sans, tellement j'ai déjà pris l'habitude de m'en servir. Son maniement est très aisé. Il est de lecture agréable. Mon seul grand regret est l'absence du dictionnaire de synonymes existant dans la version papier.
La prononciation des mots est un plus incontestable ainsi que les petits conseils de traduction afin d'éviter les faux-amis.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have now bought Le Grand Robert... Oct 12, 2006

Thanks a lot to all of you for your input!

Just wanted to say that I have just become the proud owner of Le Grand Robert on CD-ROM, and although so far I have only taken a quick look at it, I think it is going to be perfect for my needs.

As an aside, I note that this is version 1.2, dated 2006 [v 1.1 was 2004], and on the face of it, they seem to have addressed most of the objections I've heard raised. If I come across any nasties, I'll repost them here.

Once again, my thanks to you all

Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks Tony! Oct 16, 2006

Thanks for letting us know, Tony. I might just get that as a present for my wife for Christmas!

Do let us know your thoughts once you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Cams

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Report on software now I've had a chance to use it Nov 7, 2006

I've now had a few opportunities to use the software in earnest, so I thought I'd report back.

First and foremost, I have to say that it is a very powerful tool, and I wouldn't be without it.

From the lexicographic point of view, it appears excellent, even slightly expanded compared with my previous (2002) edition of the paper dictionary.

It is a nice extra touch to have a pronunciation guide (in the form of audio files) for certain entries (though by no means all) — but this comes with a heavy penalty of several hundred extra meg of data.

The user guide is... OK. I like the fact that you can change the size of the type in the definition window (but sadly, none of the others, where it might be even more useful!), and I like the fact that the word listing window displays both FR and EN words in the same alphabetical list, using a colour code to tell you which is which; this is very handy, though because of the small type size, can also lead to mis-clicks (if you're as maladroit as I am!)

I also like the fact that the list shown includes quite a number of words after the chosen entry, meaning you can 'browse' for nearby spellings, other versions, etc. — though it would have been handier still if the selected word had appeared somewhere in the centre of the list, with both succeeding and preceding entries visible.

I do NOT like some features of the graphical user interface; in particular, its buttons etc. are very small and quite fiddly to click on, and in addition to the scroll handle, there are up/down arrows, but oddly grouped together at the bottom, instead of one at the top and the other at the bottom, as is almost universal elsewhere! I also notice some bugs with the scroll bars, they don't always go all the way to the end of their travel, meaning you can be left with the impression that there are more words in the list that you can't get to!

I also did not like the fact that if you have selected some variant of a headword that appears quite a long way down the definition entry for that word, as soon as you click in the definition window in order to be able to scroll around in it, the whole thing whizzes right back up to the top and you've lost your place. With longer entries, this is extremly time-wasting and irksome.

In spite of the supposedly sophisticated search facilities, I found it was very easy to catch it out; if you enter a common term that consists of more than one word, it will ignore the space and treat it as one word, thereby often taking you far from the entry that might have been helpful. Even changing to 'expressions' didn't seem to cure the problem, which is really rather an unfortunate limitation on what would otherwise be a very powerful tool.

I have only loaded the bare minimum program onto my hard disk, meaning that it runs all the time from the CD-ROM, which is impossibly slow if you have to wait for it to spin up to speed each time you enter a word; particularly as once it has started, all entry is locked, so unless you're quick, you can't even finish typing the word, or go back and correct it. It is really essential to load the WHOLE thing onto your hrad diosk, but this needs some 120 Meg of space! And that's not including the audio pronunciation files, which take it to over 600 Meg! Unless you use the pronunciation a lot, I don't imagine it would be any inconvenience to leave those off, only running from the CD-ROM if needed.

My version seems to have a bug, always asking me to confirm deletion of the program at every start-up; as this dialogue easily gets hidden behind other windows, I sometimes find myself wondering why it's not responding to me...

Another bug I've found is that just sometimes, the user interface comes up, but minus the definition text; the only cure seems to be to quit and relaunch the program. A minor irritation, but if it did it very often, it could be a pain.

All in all, I think it is a very worthwhile tool, but it's a pity they can't get these silly little peripheral niggles sorted out to improve the ergonomics, in view of the way this is likely to be used.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a very comprehensive FR EN dictionary on CD-ROM

[Edited at 2006-11-07 22:32]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for good FR-EN / EN-FR dictionary on CD-ROM

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs