Mobile menu

Resource for reliable Russian translations of Anglo-American legal terms?
Thread poster: xxxmeenk
Local time: 11:55
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
Sep 21, 2006

To legal translators / members,

Is there a site or dictionary, on paper or CD, with Russian translations of Anglo-American legal terms which is reasonably reliable and complete?

Reactions are welcome on

R.M. Meenk (Michael)
Van der Aastraat 44
2597 SL The Hague
Telephone: +31 70 324 74 74

P.S. Perhaps you have a question or questions for me to answer?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-09-21 19:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Possibly useful website and paper dictionary Sep 22, 2006

I have a Russian-English legal dictionary on civil and international law in the "World of Law" series, which is obviously not what you want, but it mentions other publications, including:
Т. Ренквист и др. "Англо-русский юридический словарь по гражданскому и международному частному праву". Кол-во стр: 480. Объем: свыше 20000 терминов. Переплет: твердый. ISBN: 5-94294-003-7. Словарь характеризуется детальной разработкой в сфере гражданского и международного частного права - отрасли права, в рамках которой осуществляется экономическое сотрудничество народов мира (подробнее см.
I can't get this page itself, but takes you to a home page from which you can click on Словарь in a menu on the left, taking you to a page where you will find Russian-English and English-Russian legal dictionaries.
I can't vouch for how good these are, but I hope they may be of some help.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Maybe, Lingvo? Sep 22, 2006

There's a legal dictionary among dictionaries for Lingvo:
Law (En-Ru) (к версии Lingvo 11)

Англо-русский юридический словарь. © «РУССО», 2003, Андрианов С.Н., Берсон А.С. и др. 50 тыс. статей.

Словарь отражает правовую терминологию, существующую в Великобритании и США, и содержит около 50 тысяч терминов. В нем представлена терминология по международному публичному и международному частному праву, государственному праву, административному праву, уголовному праву и процессу, гражданскому и торговому праву, гражданскому процессу, судоустройству, патентно-лицензионному и авторскому праву.
Латинская терминология дается в той мере, в какой она является частью терминологического арсенала англо-американской юриспруденции. То же относится к французскому, в том числе старофранцузскому, элементу.

Law (En-Ru) (for Lingvo 11)

The English-Russian Law Dictionary
50,000 entries. © RUSSO, 2003, S.N. Anrdianov, A.S. Berson et al.

The Dictionary reflects the legal terminology of Great Britain and the USA and contains about 50,000 terms. The Dictionary covers international private and public law, state law, administrative law, criminal law, civil law, commercial law, courts, patents, and copyright. Latin, French, and Old French words and expressions used in British and American law have also been included.

Since I'm not lawyer, I can't judge if it's “reasonably reliable and complete”.

There's also:
Patents (En-Ru) (к версии Lingvo 11)

Англо-русский словарь по патентам и товарным знакам. © 2004, Глядков С.В. 11 тыс. статей.

Отражает современное состояние языка в области патентов, товарных знаков и интеллектуальной собственности.
Словарь особенно актуален сегодня, во время массовой интернетизации и глобализации, т.к. поможет подготовить документы по защите авторских и интеллектуальных прав, ознакомиться с действующими англоязычными законодательствами и правилами в этой сфере.
Рекомендуется широкому кругу пользователей.
4-е исправленное и дополненное издание.

Patents (En-Ru) (for Lingvo 11)

The English-Russian Dictionary of Patents and Trademarks.
11,000 entries. © S.V. Glyadkov, 2004.

The Dictionary reflects the current terminology related to patents, trademarks, and copyright. The Dictionary will prove useful in this day and age of globalization and will help readers to draw up copyright agreements and better understand current British and American legislation and regulations related to intellectual property.
4th edition, revised and updated.

So, check their website:

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Lingvo and Internet Sep 22, 2006

ABBYY Lingvo has a good En-Ru legal dictionary, and useful information can often be found in its other dictionaries (general, business, Americana etc.)

If I don't find a term there (and quite often if I do) I usually look for the definition / description of the term in the Internet (, and then search for a Russian equivalent.

I find this to be a more efficient way than browsing dictionary after dictionary.

Also, considering that the Anglo-American legal system is quite different from continental legal systems, some background knowledge is needed, so that you understand what you translate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource for reliable Russian translations of Anglo-American legal terms?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs