Firewall and similar tools?
Thread poster: Alexander Chisholm

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2002

Dear All,

Like many of you who are slowly growing in the amount of business you attract and consequently need improved resources etc. I have just invested in an ADSL connection. having used a dial up account until now.

Given that I now have a fixed IP address instead of a dynamically assigned one, I assume that i will need to move to a whole new level of security.

Can anyone advise me of the considerations I might need to take into account? What products should I use?

Given my main PC (the one connected directly to the ADSL line) is a P4 2 GHz with Win XP Home ed. what are the settings I should apply for this and any secondary software? Any patches, upgrades wtc. to get (or avoid)?

Any advice from anyone who has done this and knows what to watch out for would be very welcome.

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
security Oct 8, 2002

While you have your primary computer connected to the Internet, I would check that you have no shared directories on it and that you have no sensitive information (financial info, account numbers, etc.)

Also, as a first step, create a new account for yourself on your XP machine, one that is less privileged than the \"owner\" account. This account should have restricted access to system files. Basically grant it access only to the work files that you will be using for translation and such. Select good passwords for both the \"owner\" account and the \"working\" account. Guidelines on selecting good passwords are available from the Internet.

Once that is done, look for a good permanent solution. The best way is to separate your main functionality from your security function. Probably, the least expensive way of doing it is buying a cable (or DSL) router which will do packet filtering for you. In the States, they go for about $ 100-140 and are not too difficult to configure. Ask your provider, they might have one configured already that you can get.

The next possible option is to buy a separate computer (not as fancy or expensive as your primary one) and install some firewall software on it. Another thing you could do is buy that computer and install Linux on it. There is quite a bit of configuration involved but Linux has a packet filtering function and other utilities included. It also keeps very good system logs.

And one final note, there is no such thing as too much paranoia (i. e. the degree of your paranoia should be commensurate with the value that you attach to the information on your primary computer).

Michael Tovbin

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:25
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Zone Alarm Oct 8, 2002

I use ZoneAlarm from Zone Labs, free software that you can download from their site. They have a more advanced version (better virus protection etc) that you can pay for, but so far I\'m more than happy with the one I use.

You can have the option of switching off the popups that tell you when someone is trying to hack into your PC/trace for worms etc, and let it run in the background instead.

Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Free firewall software Oct 8, 2002

Dear Sandy,

You do need firewall software with your high speed internet connection. You can download a very good free program called Zone Alarm from It is easy to install and learn.

Another good and inexpensive firewall software is \"Black Ice Defender\" available from for about USD 40.

Best regards,

Carolyn Denoncourt

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
See the parallel thread Oct 8, 2002

Colin McKinney posted a response, but erroneously created a second thread:

mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Ralf Oct 9, 2002

I tried to shift it to the right place

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firewall and similar tools?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs