https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/56168-transcription_of_words.html

Transcription of words
Thread poster: Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:04
English to Spanish
Sep 26, 2006

Hello
I made the transcription (from a .jpg to a .doc) of 4000 words. I did not translate them but just transcribed them in a .doc file. How much do you think it could be my rate ? Should I charge per word or sheet?Thank you
SG

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:04
Spanish
+ ...
Per hour Sep 26, 2006

Since the time it takes you to transcribe the files depends on the quality of the original .jpg files, I would charge my regular per hour rate.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends on the legibility of the text Sep 27, 2006

Silvia Gentili wrote:
I made the transcription (from a .jpg to a .doc) of 4000 words.

Charge for printing costs and then charge per hour. If you can't or won't charge per hour, then determine the legibility of it (could you read everything clearly from a normal distance?), and if it was legible, charge a typist's fee (if it was illegible, charge more).

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Why should she charge a typist's fee?? Sep 27, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Charge for printing costs and then charge per hour. If you can't or won't charge per hour, then determine the legibility of it (could you read everything clearly from a normal distance?), and if it was legible, charge a typist's fee (if it was illegible, charge more).

She is a translator, isn't she? No matter what kind of job a translator is supposed to do, he should charge his regular fee.

I would definitively charge per hour, too!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 21:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charge nothing at all ... Sep 27, 2006

... if you did it the easy way - i.e. with an OCR software!

Instead of charging for it, use this as an example of your professional attitude towards clients, in the hope that they will come back to you for 'real' work another time.

MediaMatrix

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Typist's fee for a typist's job Sep 28, 2006

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
...and if it was legible, charge a typist's fee.

She is a translator, isn't she? No matter what kind of job a translator is supposed to do, he should charge his regular fee.

IMO, she is typist if she does a typist's job.

Of course, doing a typist's job will take longer if she's not a typist, and for that reason the client should be prepared to pay an hourly rate if he's too lazy to get himself a real typist.

Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:04
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 28, 2006

Thank you very much for your help
Regards
SG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription of words

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »