Mobile menu

Who knows what Hangul is???
Thread poster: xxxAlexey Belia
xxxAlexey Belia
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 10, 2002

I desparately need Hangul translation.

But first need to know what Hangul language is translated in English. Can anyone help??

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOso
Spanish
+ ...
Korean written language Oct 10, 2002

\"Hangul is actually what Koreans refer to their written language. Thus, when non-native speakers go about learning Korean, or any Asian language, they must learn the spoken and the written forms. Many also feel to fully learn, one has to be exposed to both forms for better understanding. My husband started out teaching me the alphabet, before focusing on the spoken phrases. Unlike Japanese hiragana or Chinese characters, for instance, Hangul had been structured so that someone with simple education could read it.\"

http://chullima.tripod.com/hangul.html

Good luck and greetings from Oso ¶:^)

bochkor
Local time: 04:50
English to German
+ ...
The Korean alphabet Oct 10, 2002

Sorry, not a separate Korean language, a written one, as it sounds in Oso\'s formulation. It\'s simply a collection of letters, the Korean alphabet.

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:50
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
What is this statement!!! Oct 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-10 18:09, Oso wrote:

\"Hangul is actually what Koreans refer to their written language. Thus, when non-native speakers go about learning Korean, or any Asian language, they must learn the spoken and the written forms. Many also feel to fully learn, one has to be exposed to both forms for better understanding. My husband started out teaching me the alphabet, before focusing on the spoken phrases. Unlike Japanese hiragana or Chinese characters, for instance, Hangul had been structured so that someone with simple education could read it.\"

Sorry, Oso, this does not make any sense!

Is Cyrillic \'what Russians refer to their written language\"?

Hangul is Korean alphabet, but Koreans actually use a mixed system of writing: some words which are originally borrowed from Chinese are written as Chinese characters and some, originally Korean words, are written in hangul. All gramatical endings, however, are written in hangul. A request to translate \"into hangul\" means that the outsourcer wants everything to be written in alphabet, without any Chinese characters, which is also perfectly correct in Korean.

The structure of this system of writing is actually very similar (if not the same) as in Japanese - the characters of hangul, hiragana and katakana, though, are entirely different. To make it more complicated - hiragana and katakana are not alphabets, hangul is.

Hope this helps.

Magda

(Korean Studies Graduate)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-10 22:32 ]

xxxOso
Spanish
+ ...
I'll slap myself twice ¶:^) Oct 10, 2002

No need to be sorry, Magda.

Thank you for giving us an accurate explanation.

Greetings from Oso ¶:^)

Soonja Ahn
Local time: 17:20
English to Korean
+ ...
More stuff on Hangul and Korea Oct 11, 2002

For those who still wonder about Hangul and Koreans, check out our homepage:

http://myhome.naver.com/koexpress/

Cheers,

Soonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who knows what Hangul is???

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs