https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/5635-who_knows_what_hangul_is.html

Who knows what Hangul is???
Thread poster: Alexey Belia (X)
Alexey Belia (X)
Alexey Belia (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 10, 2002

I desparately need Hangul translation.

But first need to know what Hangul language is translated in English. Can anyone help??

Oso (X)
Oso (X)
Spanish
+ ...
Korean written language Oct 10, 2002

\"Hangul is actually what Koreans refer to their written language. Thus, when non-native speakers go about learning Korean, or any Asian language, they must learn the spoken and the written forms. Many also feel to fully learn, one has to be exposed to both forms for better understanding. My husband started out teaching me the alphabet, before focusing on the spoken phrases. Unlike Japanese hiragana or Chinese characters, for instance, Hangul had been structured so that someone with simple educa... See more
\"Hangul is actually what Koreans refer to their written language. Thus, when non-native speakers go about learning Korean, or any Asian language, they must learn the spoken and the written forms. Many also feel to fully learn, one has to be exposed to both forms for better understanding. My husband started out teaching me the alphabet, before focusing on the spoken phrases. Unlike Japanese hiragana or Chinese characters, for instance, Hangul had been structured so that someone with simple education could read it.\"

http://chullima.tripod.com/hangul.html

Good luck and greetings from Oso ¶:^)
Collapse

bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 08:19
English to German
+ ...
The Korean alphabet Oct 10, 2002

Sorry, not a separate Korean language, a written one, as it sounds in Oso\'s formulation. It\'s simply a collection of letters, the Korean alphabet.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:19
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
What is this statement!!! Oct 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-10 18:09, Oso wrote:

\"Hangul is actually what Koreans refer to their written language. Thus, when non-native speakers go about learning Korean, or any Asian language, they must learn the spoken and the written forms. Many also feel to fully learn, one has to be exposed to both forms for better understanding. My husband started out teaching me the alphabet, before focusing on the spoken phrases. Unlike Japanese hi... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-10 18:09, Oso wrote:

\"Hangul is actually what Koreans refer to their written language. Thus, when non-native speakers go about learning Korean, or any Asian language, they must learn the spoken and the written forms. Many also feel to fully learn, one has to be exposed to both forms for better understanding. My husband started out teaching me the alphabet, before focusing on the spoken phrases. Unlike Japanese hiragana or Chinese characters, for instance, Hangul had been structured so that someone with simple education could read it.\"

Sorry, Oso, this does not make any sense!

Is Cyrillic \'what Russians refer to their written language\"?

Hangul is Korean alphabet, but Koreans actually use a mixed system of writing: some words which are originally borrowed from Chinese are written as Chinese characters and some, originally Korean words, are written in hangul. All gramatical endings, however, are written in hangul. A request to translate \"into hangul\" means that the outsourcer wants everything to be written in alphabet, without any Chinese characters, which is also perfectly correct in Korean.

The structure of this system of writing is actually very similar (if not the same) as in Japanese - the characters of hangul, hiragana and katakana, though, are entirely different. To make it more complicated - hiragana and katakana are not alphabets, hangul is.

Hope this helps.

Magda

(Korean Studies Graduate)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-10 22:32 ]Collapse

Oso (X)
Oso (X)
Spanish
+ ...
I'll slap myself twice ¶:^) Oct 10, 2002

No need to be sorry, Magda.

Thank you for giving us an accurate explanation.

Greetings from Oso ¶:^)

Soonja Ahn
Soonja Ahn
Local time: 21:19
English to Korean
+ ...
More stuff on Hangul and Korea Oct 11, 2002

For those who still wonder about Hangul and Koreans, check out our homepage:

http://myhome.naver.com/koexpress/

Cheers,

Soonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who knows what Hangul is???

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »