Mobile menu

Wordfast compatibility with Trados
Thread poster: Andrew Higgs
Andrew Higgs  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2006

Hi everyone. This is an old chestnut, but I would really appreciate some detailed replies!

We are experienced users of SDLX, and like it a lot. I find the split-screen interface very easy to use. We upgraded to Trados and I hate it, but often have to use it when receiving Tag Editor format files.

We are an agency as well as freelancers by the way. Now we have four word documents for translation. The client wants us to use Trados and return the files in unclean format with a TM created from the project. The only 2 translators available have only Wordfast. We will need to check the files before sending them in, using Trados.

How can we be sure that the files we get back, correct and send in, will be the right format? Can somebody describe the process in Wordfast so that our translator ends up with Trados compatible unclean files and a TM?

How do we then open these in Trados (both the files and the TM) for correction and updating, and then be able to send them off to the client again? Or do we open them in Word?

Sorry to probably go over old ground but I am sure I'm not the only one who has nightmares about file formats.

Whatever happened to the days when it was the quality of the translation that was the main focus?!?!

All help very gratefully received.

Have a great day folks!

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can clean the Word-files in Trados Oct 2, 2006

and update the TM at the same time. You cannot distinct between Wordfiles translated in Trados or with Wordfast.
But if you send the old TM to the translators with Wordfast, it is possible that Wf does not recognise all segments properly. But the client will not notice, how the translation is done, if you update the TM using cleanup in WB.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TM export in Wordfast Oct 2, 2006

If your translators send you their uncleaned Wordfast files, you can ceate a TRADOS TM by making a copy of the files and cleaning it, or just use the .BAK file as the unclean file and have the original file cleaned.

In that case it is not necessary to export the Wf memory - if you'd like to do that anyway, my experience is that it is best to export it as .tmx in Wordfast, otherwise you might have problems importing it in a Trados memory.

Vito Smolej
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
send them in.... Oct 3, 2006

... and I can check their orthodoxy @ no charge.

The only condition: if you happen to get an order to translate NO/SE > SL, you know who to contact.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast compatibility with Trados

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs