https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/56758-stylewriter%3A_has_anyone_any_comments_experience_or_advice.html

Stylewriter: has anyone any comments, experience or advice?
Thread poster: kringle
kringle
kringle  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Italian to English
Oct 4, 2006

Reading a review about the Oxford book of style (following a lead from the forum) led me to discover Stylewriter. It sounds interesting to say the least and I would like to know if anyone uses it, what they think good or bad and if they have any advice or know of any similar software to "pep up" my English versions that (to me at least, but the clients seem happy) sound a bit stodgy and dull after nearly 20 years in the biz. thanks for any feedback - SUE aka kringle on proz

Deborah Berry
Deborah Berry
French to English
Just a guess Oct 5, 2006

I am just guessing but I would assume stylewriter is someone who is able to maintain the style of a text. I assume this is very important in literature and advertising translations which sometimes try to create a mood which is important to maintain for it to be effective.

I sometimes do these poetic advertising texts in which the writing has to remain infused with a mood. For example some of the titles for catalog visuals I was working on were: back to the cottage, contemporary cozy
... See more
I am just guessing but I would assume stylewriter is someone who is able to maintain the style of a text. I assume this is very important in literature and advertising translations which sometimes try to create a mood which is important to maintain for it to be effective.

I sometimes do these poetic advertising texts in which the writing has to remain infused with a mood. For example some of the titles for catalog visuals I was working on were: back to the cottage, contemporary cozy, starry nights, zen silence.

I am not exactly sure if that answered your question but I hope it helped!
Collapse

smarinella
smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Could you please... Oct 5, 2006

tell us what's stylewriter? A forum, a software, a Cat tool? I neverd heard about it and the name sounds interesting, since I work for the press...

kringle
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
stylewriter is software for writers Oct 5, 2006

http://www.editorsoftware.com/affiliates/BBH/stylewriter-software/index.html

have a look at this - I only had time to quickly read through, but I'm a bit loathe to jump in and buy (we Yorkshire lasses are thrifty with our money) until I can find someone who's actually used it. If it does what they say, (but of course THEY think it's wonderful!) it
... See more
http://www.editorsoftware.com/affiliates/BBH/stylewriter-software/index.html

have a look at this - I only had time to quickly read through, but I'm a bit loathe to jump in and buy (we Yorkshire lasses are thrifty with our money) until I can find someone who's actually used it. If it does what they say, (but of course THEY think it's wonderful!) it actually edits what you write, not like spellcheck or grammar, but the style. What do you think?
thanks for any feedback. SUE
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
30-days-trial available for £30 (+ delivery I suppose) Oct 5, 2006

I don't know the software and to be honest I'm a bit sceptical about a tool which could edit your text for style clumsiness.

You can get a CD with an "almost free" 30 days trial together with some writing guides and other stuff for £30.

If you give it a try, please let us know !!

Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Russian to English
Interesting Oct 5, 2006

It sounds interesting and it would be fun to give it a try, however I'm not really keen to pay for a trial (I'm Scottish, so perhaps more thrifty even than Yorkshire lassies!)

I'm also put off by the big banner ad on the left of one of their pages that offers 10 FREE gifts. Maybe they didn't use their own product to edit the style of their website, otherwise they might have been alerted to the fact that gifts are, by their very nature, FREE! (Their caps, not mine).

If
... See more
It sounds interesting and it would be fun to give it a try, however I'm not really keen to pay for a trial (I'm Scottish, so perhaps more thrifty even than Yorkshire lassies!)

I'm also put off by the big banner ad on the left of one of their pages that offers 10 FREE gifts. Maybe they didn't use their own product to edit the style of their website, otherwise they might have been alerted to the fact that gifts are, by their very nature, FREE! (Their caps, not mine).

If you give it a go Sue, please let us know how you like it.
Collapse

kringle
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Scots v Yorks Oct 5, 2006

..don't know who would win that on the "tight" stakes. But I would really have preferred a marketing policy like Wordfast whereby you can download a "mini" version to try out and then by the "infinite" one. But I'm sorely tempted as the examples they show on the site look really interesting.
Will decide and obviously pass on comments etc. should I take the plunge. SUE

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stylewriter: has anyone any comments, experience or advice?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »