xxxMavericker
English
Oct 25, 2006

HI. I found this websites for an Online Estonian slang dictionary:
http://www.eki.ee/dict/slang/index.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20050306033546/http://www.eki.ee/dict/slang/
http://web.archive.org/web/20050207232212/www.eki.ee/cgi-bin/sl_dic/?1
www.eki.ee/cgi-bin/sl_dic/?1
There's a problem at the original site-fortunately, the last link works with no problem, but there are archived copies of the main page at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050306033546/http://www.eki.ee/dict/slang/

The problem is I don't understand Estonian-is there a free Estonian to English URL translator, or any free Estonian to English text translators? I've been searching for some, and I haven't found any. Please let me know.

Direct link Reply with quote

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:55
Swedish to English
+ ...
Maybe I'm a bit tired ... Oct 25, 2006

... but why would you want an Estonian slang dictionary if "The problem is I don't understand Estonian".

Your profile tells me you neither translate to (or from) Estonian.

What help would such a dictionary be - let you shout a few selected lines during a wet bachelor's night out in Tallinn?

Tried to understand your motivation by checking your profile -a very empty one so no luck.

Maybe you have another profile somewhere on Proz ...

xxxMavericker
English
TOPIC STARTER
Why I want Estonian to English URL and text translation Oct 26, 2006

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

... but why would you want an Estonian slang dictionary if "The problem is I don't understand Estonian".

Your profile tells me you neither translate to (or from) Estonian.

What help would such a dictionary be - let you shout a few selected lines during a wet bachelor's night out in Tallinn?

Tried to understand your motivation by checking your profile -a very empty one so no luck.

Maybe you have another profile somewhere on Proz ...

I'm writing a comic book, and I'm doing research on slang used in the U.S. and in other countries. The slang dictionary is online but it isn't an Estonian to English dictionary. I'd like to be able to understand the text that is posted. When I looked up the site at a search engine, such as yahoo, there's no "translate this page option."
In other words, I want to be able to understand what the terms in the dictionary that are listed mean in English.

Is there any free Estonian to Englishtext or Url translators online? I've been looking-and I haven't seen any yet.

xxxMavericker
English
TOPIC STARTER
Is Estonian a form of German? Oct 26, 2006

Is Estonian a form of German? Would Estonian words work in a german to english tranlsator?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:55
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry Oct 26, 2006

My reply last night was probably a bit too harsh. Please ignore my rantings.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:55
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Estonian language in Wikipedia Oct 26, 2006

Mavericker wrote:
Is Estonian a form of German? Would Estonian words work in a german to english tranlsator?

The short answer is no.

You can find a longer answer in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_language
from where I have copied a short excerpt"

Classification

Estonian belongs to the Finnic branch of the Finno-Ugric languages. Estonian is thus closely related to Finnish, spoken on the other side of the Gulf of Finland, and is one of the few languages of Europe that is not Indo-European. Despite some overlaps in the vocabulary due to borrowings, in terms of its origin, Estonian is not related to its nearest neighbours, Swedish, Latvian and Russian, which are all Indo-European languages.

Like Finnish and Hungarian, Estonian is an agglutinative language, but unlike them, it has lost the vowel harmony of Proto-Finno-Ugric. Furthermore, the syncope of word-final sounds is extensive and has caused a shift from a purely agglutinative to an inflected language. The basic word order is Subject Verb Object.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-10-26 22:04]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
English to Russian
+ ...
what can I say Oct 26, 2006

or write! ^0)

it is a nice language and it is very specific
but......

sorry to say the creation of a FREE online translating program for Estonian into any other language is not a profitable enterprise at the moment, that is why anyone still has to use real translators... and not for free......

[Edited at 2006-10-26 22:15]

English to Russian
+ ...
in certain sense yes! Oct 26, 2006

Mavericker wrote:

sometimes yes, for example:
arst - der Arzt - doctor
härra - der Herr - mister
proua - die Frau - missis
preili - das Freulein - miss
meri - das Meer - sea
kaart - die Karte - map, card
keller - der Keller - cellar
klooster - das Kloster - cloister, convent
etc...

[Edited at 2006-10-26 23:00]

xxxMavericker
English
TOPIC STARTER
Posting requests for translations Oct 27, 2006

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

or write! ^0)

it is a nice language and it is very specific
but......

sorry to say the creation of a FREE online translating program for Estonian into any other language is not a profitable enterprise at the moment, that is why anyone still has to use real translators... and not for free......

If I posted a list of terms in the Linguistics forums rather than post them individually in the translations forums, can I get translations for them?

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
translation of terms Oct 27, 2006

Mavericker wrote:
If I posted a list of terms in the Linguistics forums rather than post them individually in the translations forums, can I get translations for them?

You can't post them in the forums but you're welcome to use KudoZ (Go to http://www.proz.com/kudoz and click on "Ask a KudoZ question", or from the main menu select KudoZ -> Ask question).

Maria

xxxMavericker
English
TOPIC STARTER
Comment to Madeleine Oct 27, 2006

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

My reply last night was probably a bit too harsh. Please ignore my rantings.

I forgive you.

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:55
German to English
+ ...
German influence on Estonian Oct 27, 2006

It is interesting how trade (the Hanseatic League in this case) has caused words to become part of other languages.

Tallinn was actually founded by German traders (see quote forn Wikipedia article below):

"German colonists under strict Hansa supervision built numerous Hansa cities in the Baltic: towns like Reval (Tallinn), Riga, and Dorpat (Tartu), some of which still retain many Hansa buildings and bear the style of their Hanseatic days. Livonia (presently Estonia and Latvia) had its own Hanseatic parliament (diet), and all of its major towns became members of the Hanseatic League."

The effect of trade in that whole area is fascinating. I know a German who comes from Danzig/Gdansk but has a Scottish surname. His ancestors came from Aberdeenshire in Scotland as traders in the 16th century!

Could do with a new life to study it all!

Robin Salmon

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

Mavericker wrote:

sometimes yes, for example:
arst - der Arzt - doctor
härra - der Herr - mister
proua - die Frau - missis
preili - das Freulein - miss
meri - das Meer - sea
kaart - die Karte - map, card
keller - der Keller - cellar
klooster - das Kloster - cloister, convent
etc...

[Edited at 2006-10-26 23:00]

English to Russian
+ ...
imho Oct 27, 2006

it was not a trade what actually made major influence :0)

Even the name of the capital Tallinn means Danish city.

according to this site
http://www.humanrights.coe.int/Minorities/Eng/FrameworkConvention/StateReports/1999/estonia/Art3.htm

qte
3.The German minority - The first wave of Germans entered Estonia early in the 13th century as invaders, and after the conquest of Estonian, Livonian and Latvian lands established themselves as the ruling class. Having been living here for centuries, the Germans acquired a local so called Baltic features. The number of Germans remained rather small over centuries, never exceeding 5 to 6 per cent of the total population. In the second half of the 19th century the continuous declining trend of the number of Germans began and on the eve of the 20th century they comprised around 2.5 per cent of the total population.
uqte

[Edited at 2006-10-27 17:44]

xxxMavericker
English
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestion for help with translations Oct 27, 2006

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

it was not a trade what actually made major influence :0)

Even the name of the capital Tallinn means Danish city.

according to this site
http://www.humanrights.coe.int/Minorities/Eng/FrameworkConvention/StateReports/1999/estonia/Art3.htm

qte
3.The German minority - The first wave of Germans entered Estonia early in the 13th century as invaders, and after the conquest of Estonian, Livonian and Latvian lands established themselves as the ruling class. Having been living here for centuries, the Germans acquired a local so called Baltic features. The number of Germans remained rather small over centuries, never exceeding 5 to 6 per cent of the total population. In the second half of the 19th century the continuous declining trend of the number of Germans began and on the eve of the 20th century they comprised around 2.5 per cent of the total population.
uqte

[Edited at 2006-10-27 17:44]

Hello. What would you suggest I do? I'd like to be able to understand what the slang terms in the dictionary I was talking about mean in English.

English to Russian
+ ...
menu Jobs > post job Oct 29, 2006

why don't you order a translation?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Estonian to English website translation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs