Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:01
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2002

Quote from Thierry LOTTE (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=5889&forum=23):

\"At least I made it !

1000 thousand KudoZ points and thus without Google, without Termium, without Altavista !

All by myself !
\"

My congratulations Thierry, but why are you so opposed to Google and Alt
... See more
Quote from Thierry LOTTE (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=5889&forum=23):

\"At least I made it !

1000 thousand KudoZ points and thus without Google, without Termium, without Altavista !

All by myself !
\"

My congratulations Thierry, but why are you so opposed to Google and Altavista search engines I wonder? I consider them to be really good and useful instruments. It all depends on how we use them.

BTW do you use any dictionaries in your work? Then you can\'t say you did it \"all by yourself\" as dictionaries are also our instruments: to do anything by yourself means (as far as I understand the logic of your words) to do it SOLELY FROM YOUR HEAD.

But just to have instruments is not enough: dictionaries are available almost to everybody today but we can\'t say that anyone is able to translate, can we? The art of translation I believe is the art of proper usage of ALL available tools from one\'s head to dictionaries to search engines.

Even St. Jerome used a \"translation angel\" as you can see in this picture:

Cheers,

Nikita Kobrin

P.S. And what is Termium? I not only don\'t use it but I even don\'t know what it is. Shall I be proud of this fact?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-23 22:04 ]
Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2002)
Russian to English
Nikita, Oct 23, 2002

Thanks for the St. Jerome picture!!! great!

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
About Termium Oct 23, 2002

Hi Nikkita,

Termium is a huge online reference database for translators who work English to/from French (Canada) that you can access for a fee.

There is also a bit of Spanish in there.

You can find out more details (if interested) on their site:

www.termium.com

Nathalie (Termium Plus user)

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:01
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
On googling Oct 23, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-10-23 15:20, NIKITA wrote:

SOLELY FROM YOUR HEAD. [/unquote]

That\'s one approach to KudoZ.

Another extreme is answering questions SOLELY based on \"googled\" knowledge - without even using a head - just a hit count, regardless the context, regardless the meaning. That happens as well. And there is a golden middle, of course.

In that sense 1000 KudoZ solely from head is an achievement. Congrats Thierry!

Magda

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-24 14:49 ]

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The picture & Termium Oct 23, 2002

Yes Liza, I do like the picture too. Once I even wanted to use it as my ProZ image but then decided that it\'s somewhat too presumptuous.

- X -

Nathalie, thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately I can\'t use this tool as I don\'t work with French.

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: On googling Oct 24, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-10-23 23:41, Magda-KMM wrote:

Quote:

Another extreme is answering questions SOLELY based on \"googleed\" knowledge - without even using a head - just a hit count, regardless the context, regardless the meaning. That happens as well.

Yes, it really happens. That\'s why I\'m speaking about PROPER usage of instruments (including HEAD ).

All instruments are useless (including head) if you don\'t know how to use them properly.

Nikita Kobrin

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-24 19:19 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRANSLATORS\' HEADS vs TRANSLATION TOOLS

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »