ITP Purchases Language Weaver’s Automated Translation Software After Tests Prove 30 Percent Time Sav
Thread poster: Mohamed
Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 12, 2006

I believe this is a serious threat that we will be all facing sooner or later. So, do not be surprised if a client or a translation agency asks you to edit a machine-translated text.

ITP becomes first translation and publishing services company in Europe to incorporate statistical machine translation technologies

LOS ANGELES – Language Weaver, a leading software company developing enterprise software for the automated translation of human languages, today announced i
... See more
I believe this is a serious threat that we will be all facing sooner or later. So, do not be surprised if a client or a translation agency asks you to edit a machine-translated text.

ITP becomes first translation and publishing services company in Europe to incorporate statistical machine translation technologies

LOS ANGELES – Language Weaver, a leading software company developing enterprise software for the automated translation of human languages, today announced it has fulfilled an order of its French and Spanish software translation modules for ITP, a global provider of translation, data processing and publishing solutions. Almost 85 percent of ITP’s business consists of developing technical and marketing publications in multiple languages for major Japanese and other Asian automotive manufacturers, including one of the largest automotive companies worldwide.

To read the full story, please go to:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20061107005243&newsLang=en

[Edited at 2006-11-12 23:48]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nice text Nov 12, 2006

Perhaps they should try their software by translating this press release into Finnish. I'm ready to get impressed

Cheers
Heinrich

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
Flemish to English
+ ...
Professional editors Nov 12, 2006

Consequently, we will become "professional editors" (native speakers only).
The only thing LW has to do is market itself on a massive schale on this site and introduce a trados-like reduction scheme for accuracy to its end-customers.
Then we will see offers appearing with "Language Weaver" required and "send us your best rates". Some will even consider owing a LW-license and giving reductions according to the scheme, dreamt up by LW's marketing department as a sign of professionalism
... See more
Consequently, we will become "professional editors" (native speakers only).
The only thing LW has to do is market itself on a massive schale on this site and introduce a trados-like reduction scheme for accuracy to its end-customers.
Then we will see offers appearing with "Language Weaver" required and "send us your best rates". Some will even consider owing a LW-license and giving reductions according to the scheme, dreamt up by LW's marketing department as a sign of professionalism.

[Edited at 2006-11-12 10:28]
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
French to English
Wait a minute... Nov 13, 2006

... Have you seen the prices these guys are charging?

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
No - Nov 13, 2006

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

... Have you seen the prices these guys are charging?

can't seem to find the price anywhere!

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
German to English
Price/benefit Nov 13, 2006

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote: ... Have you seen the prices these guys are charging?

Right, you could buy a couple of dozen Trados licences for that money. But who'd want to do something as foolish as that? (rhetorical, I'm just taking a break from revising 500+ pages).

I'd guess that given the time you need to learn and feed the system, the total cost of ownership (TCO) in the first year would be in the region of USD 60k for a single-language licence. But that's not much more than the TCO of a staff translator here in Germany. And MT systems don't go sick, or get married and have kids and move to southern Patagonia. Or get bolshie when you suggest that because they've spent the last 2 hours on e-Bay, they really ought to consider putting in some overtime so that the customer won't kill you. And MT systems get updated regularly, too. Wouldn't it be great to strap a translator in to a chair, stick some sort of prongy thing into their head, and Whazooom! - not only do they remember all that terminology you've been trying to drum into their heads for months, they also know instinctively that in almost every case, nouns in the singular take singular verbs. And that the presence of adverbs generally indicates that there's a verb lurking around somewhere, too.

Williamson wonders whether translators will be MT editors in the future. I doubt that very much. Most translators can't translate in the first place, so they're unlikely to be able to edit, given that an editor must actually know *more* than the system (or person) that translated the text in the first place. I do a lot of revision myself, and I know how heart-breaking it can be. At least MT tends to make consistent mistakes that follow some sort of logical pattern. Unlike human translators. A good MT system may not always get little words like "not" in the right place, but at least they're generally there. Unlike with so many human translators.

Language Weaver appears to be an example-based MT system, so presumably it has a heuristic function that allows it to learn from new input. I wish we had consistent example-based human translation, which would be a great leap forward. But in my experience at least, most human translators have the short-term memory (say, a couple of weeks) of a six-month old Golden Retriever, i.e. zilch. And they're not exactly as much fun as having a properly house-trained six-month old Golden Retriever. Come to think of it, six-month old Golden Retrievers are less resistant to learning than most translators, too. Plus, with humans there's the "fuzzy matching encourages fuzzy thinking" problem which means that, no matter how good the TM might be, you still have to read every damn word through again.

So unless I can teach the dog to translate, I think I might give Language Weaver a ring....

Robin

[Edited at 2006-11-13 22:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ITP Purchases Language Weaver’s Automated Translation Software After Tests Prove 30 Percent Time Sav

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »