Mobile menu

Distance diploma in translation
Thread poster: Millan Gonzalez

Millan Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 14, 2006

Hi there, does anybody know a good distance learning place to get an official degree on translating?? I speak spanish, english, german, lithuanian and slovak, so the institution could be from one country, where some of these languages is spoken, no problem. I am based, however, in Spain.

Thanks you in advance
Millan Gonzalez

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-15 13:34]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-19 01:40]

Direct link Reply with quote
Sandra SAYN
English to German
+ ...
AKAD in Germany Nov 14, 2006

In Germany the only programme/school where you can study languages with a degree (staatl. geprüfter Übersetzer) is the AKAD institute.
Have a look:

Beate Petersen  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:52
English to German
+ ...
City University London Nov 14, 2006

Hi Millan,

I did a distance learning course with the City University London. They prepare you for various exams set by the Institute of Linguists (IoL). I sat the exam of "Dip Trans" right after I had completed the course. It worked fine.
Good luck!

Laurence Bourel
English to French
+ ...
IoL Nov 14, 2006

So did I, and there are IoL exam centers in a number of locations all around the world.

xxxElizabeth Ma
Local time: 06:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
University of Toronto has distance courses Nov 18, 2006

The University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies has a distance learning certificate program available in several languages. You need to complete 3 courses within 3 years, but you can do it a lot faster. You can send in materials outside of the assignments for feedback from the professor.

This is the site for the department:

Best of luck,

Elizabeth Marie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
French to English
Distance learning degree in Translation Nov 21, 2006

Hi Milan

I suggest you look at UWE's (University of West of England) website; at the MA in Translation distance learning course. You can take it full time in 1 year or spread over 2-3 years, there are no exams it's all done on coursework. And of course you can study it from anywhere - much better than the DipTrans! It's
or just go to their website and search for translation in the post-graduate section.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Distance diploma in translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs