Thread poster: Millan Gonzalez

Millan Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:10
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 14, 2006

Hi there, does anybody know a good distance learning place to get an official degree on translating?? I speak spanish, english, german, lithuanian and slovak, so the institution could be from one country, where some of these languages is spoken, no problem. I am based, however, in Spain.

Thanks you in advance
Millan Gonzalez

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-15 13:34]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-19 01:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra SAYN
Germany
English to German
+ ...
AKAD in Germany Nov 14, 2006

In Germany the only programme/school where you can study languages with a degree (staatl. geprüfter Übersetzer) is the AKAD institute.
Have a look:
www.akad.de

Beate Petersen  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:10
English to German
+ ...
City University London Nov 14, 2006

Hi Millan,

I did a distance learning course with the City University London. They prepare you for various exams set by the Institute of Linguists (IoL). I sat the exam of "Dip Trans" right after I had completed the course. It worked fine.
Good luck!

Beate

Laurence Bourel
English to French
+ ...
IoL Nov 14, 2006

So did I, and there are IoL exam centers in a number of locations all around the world.

Laurence

xxxElizabeth Ma
Local time: 07:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
University of Toronto has distance courses Nov 18, 2006

The University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies has a distance learning certificate program available in several languages. You need to complete 3 courses within 3 years, but you can do it a lot faster. You can send in materials outside of the assignments for feedback from the professor.

This is the site for the department:
http://learn.utoronto.ca/Page499.aspx

Best of luck,

Elizabeth Marie
PT>EN

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Distance learning degree in Translation Nov 21, 2006

Hi Milan

I suggest you look at UWE's (University of West of England) website; at the MA in Translation distance learning course. You can take it full time in 1 year or spread over 2-3 years, there are no exams it's all done on coursework. And of course you can study it from anywhere - much better than the DipTrans! It's www.uwe.ac.uk/translation
or just go to their website and search for translation in the post-graduate section.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Distance diploma in translation

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs