Dragon Naturally Speaking and voice recognition software
Thread poster: Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:08
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 5, 2002

I was wondering if any of you out there is using some voice recognition software. As far as I can tell, Dragon, for example, only has an English dictionary incorporated, so if you want to use it for another language, you have to build the whole glossary yourself. I need some type of voice recognition software that recognizes Spanish.

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Anthony Dr. Williams
Local time: 17:08
German to English
Dragon is delivered in many languages Nov 5, 2002

Hi there,

I have been using various versions of Dragon for approx. 5 years now in the English and German version. I cannot understand why not more people use it! I couldn\'t do without in the meantime. I\'m sure there is a version in Spanish. Just look on the Web. I\'m sure you\'ll find it.

Happy dictating

Anthony Williams

Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I use Dragon to dictate in Dutch, English and German, Nov 5, 2002

and it speaks French as well, but I don\'t

I know that there is a Spanish version available, but I\'m not sure if it comes in a package with other languages like my Dutch version does. You will probably find all the information you need on Scansoft\'s Spanish web site,

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
depends on the version you buy Nov 6, 2002

I bought the Italian version and it included the English version. While, as far as I know, if you buy the English version you only get English. I would expect that the Spanish version includes English too.

Once installed, you need to create 2 different profiles, 1 for Spanish and 1 for English, and complete the training for both languages.

When you switch to your English profile, the sw interface (all menus and commands) become English too and you need to use the English vocal commands for puntuation marks etc. (Although the printed documentation is only in the localized language, there\'s an on-line documentation in English which you can print out to use as reference for vocal commands)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-06 05:19 ]

Francesco Volpe  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Integration with CAT tools Nov 6, 2002

I\'m interested in the possibility of integrating voice recognition software with CAT tools, specifically Transit. Do you know if this can be done?

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Danish to English
+ ...
CAT tools and DragonDictate Nov 6, 2002

I purchased DragonDictate due to hand problems and it works fine in English (the version I bought). I will include other languages later on. The Dragon can be programmed to use Trados 5.5 commands and I suppose it therefore also can be used with commands for other CAT tools. Dragon (now Naturally Speaking) can be used with all types of programs when the user programs it for each of them. Many programs are already included with the Dragon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Naturally Speaking and voice recognition software

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs