Mobile menu

Fr-Eng/Ital-Eng Oxford, Collins etc dictionaries for desktop
Thread poster: Christiane Hargrave
Christiane Hargrave  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:48
French to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2006

I'm looking for a large and comprehensive French-English (& Italian-English) dictionary that I can access from my computer - any ideas on sites where I can purchase the software for a good quality dictionary with a large number of entries suitable for translators? I don't have a regular large dictionary as I travel often so I want something I can access from my laptop. I'm also looking for Fr-Eng & Ital-Eng legal/financial/technical dictionaries/glossaries that I can download or save to my desktop (or even just the URLs).

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:48
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Garzanti and Oxford Dec 12, 2006

http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/
http://www.ifinger.com

HTH

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:48
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Wordreference Dec 12, 2006

www.wordreference.com

regards,
Ritu

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - ifinger site is great Dec 12, 2006

Thank you Ritu - yes, I use wordference often, though I didn't realise they had the toolbar ability; Selcuk - the ifinger.com site is great - they have exactly what I was looking for, so thanks for that, I will order from there.

If anyone else has any other suggestions too feel free to continue on this forum - I am in continual search of good dictionaries so all advice is welcome!

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:48
English to Italian
+ ...
some more Dec 12, 2006

For glossaries

http://www.lexicool.com/

For EN-IT-EN
http://www.hoepli.it/editore/home_editrice.asp
Click on the grey banner Grande Dizionario Di Inglese and register on the site to have the complete entry. The EN-IT side is excellent, I haven't tried the IT-EN side.

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Wordfinder might be the trick Dec 13, 2006

I use WordFinder as my portable dictionary. They have many various Collins dictionaries available (you pay for each one seperately, but they all run under the WordFinder application). If I remember correctly, they had around 8-10 dictionaries available for my language pair, plus some specialized monolingual dictionaries and thesauruses.

Personally, I think most of the dictionaries leave a little to be desired, especially if you compare to the resources available online. However, it's better than needing a word when an internet connection is not available (on the plane, in the jungle, etc.).

SaludoZ!
Jason

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
French/English Robert & Collins on CD Dec 13, 2006

The "Grand Robert & Collins électronique" is in fact the big "Robert & Collins super senior" .
Very usefull. Cost about 80 € now I suppose. Very good especially if you do UK English.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all - I've chosen Robert&Collins for Fr Dec 13, 2006

Thank you everyone who replied - it is all very helpful.
I have decided to buy the 'Robert and Collins Super Senior' software from the Fnac.com - it is actually cheaper to buy it online and get it shipped to another European country than having it shipped for 'free' in France from the same store.
I also wonder about having two large electronic dictionaries loaded on my computer... is it possible to run them from the Cd-rom when you are translating, and not actually load it onto the computer? If not, I think I will have to go for only one electronic dictionary as it would probably slow down the computer too much.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Running Robert + Collins from CD-ROM Dec 14, 2006

I've just bought version 1.2 of the R + C, and I must say I'm very pleased with it.

You CAN run it direct from the CD-ROM, but I wouldn't recommend it! I don't know what your CD-ROM drive is like, but I find the run-up time every single time I want to look up a word is extremely time-wasting and frustrating.

As long as you don't load the audio (= pronunciation guide) files, it only takes something over 100 M of space on your hard drive, so I think it ought to be worth loading it like this (one of the 3 principal installation options) — if you really can't spare that much space, I'd invest in a bigger hard drive first!

It isn't really the amount of space it takes up on your hard drive that would slow the computer up, and the actual application is not too processor-hungry.

[Edited at 2006-12-14 21:18]

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tony Dec 15, 2006

Tony -Dusty- wrote:

I've just bought version 1.2 of the R + C, and I must say I'm very pleased with it.

You CAN run it direct from the CD-ROM, but I wouldn't recommend it! I don't know what your CD-ROM drive is like, but I find the run-up time every single time I want to look up a word is extremely time-wasting and frustrating.

As long as you don't load the audio (= pronunciation guide) files, it only takes something over 100 M of space on your hard drive, so I think it ought to be worth loading it like this (one of the 3 principal installation options) — if you really can't spare that much space, I'd invest in a bigger hard drive first!

It isn't really the amount of space it takes up on your hard drive that would slow the computer up, and the actual application is not too processor-hungry.

[Edited at 2006-12-14 21:18]

That is helpful! Christiane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fr-Eng/Ital-Eng Oxford, Collins etc dictionaries for desktop

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs