Mobile menu

the best dictionaries you know EN_ES and DE_ES?
Thread poster: Millan Gonzalez

Millan Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:29
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 16, 2006

Hi there,
Could you please write the best dictionaries EN_ES and DE_ES, which you use the most? It's ok software and also web-based ones... Also sectorial are welcome (technical, legal, medical and so on)

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
For general English/Spanish: Harper-Collins Dec 16, 2006

As far as general English/Spanish bilingual dictionaries, I'd give my vote to the Harper-Collins Unabridged (I think it retails for $55). Coverage is very comprehensive, the layout makes it easy to find terms and specific definitions, and there are examples of terms used within sentences. There are several additional glossaries and other useful features as well.

Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:29
English to German
+ ...
For Spanish/German Dec 18, 2006

Hello Millan,

well, for Spanish/German translations (general language) I usually use Slabý-Grossmann (consists of two volumes: Es-De and De-Es). Judging as a Technical Translator these volumes sometimes have surprisingly detailed explanations and translations of technical terms.

As an online dictionary I would recommnd for Es-De and De-Es although I must emphasise that it is not so well elaborated! In the best case it can only be a hint for a good translation so better rely on paper wells

Hope I could help!

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
English to Spanish
Medical engl >sp Dec 18, 2006

Hello Millan,

I think Fernando Navarro's Diccionario crítico de dudas inglés-español de medicina is priceless.

For reference purposes, I also use Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions (printed version), which is more of an encyclopaedia really and has only a short english to spanish section (I have both the english and spanish versions, though).

I hope this helps.

[Edited at 2006-12-18 15:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the best dictionaries you know EN_ES and DE_ES?

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs