SDL Trados 2006: to buy or not to buy?
Thread poster: Sonia Bartoli
Sonia Bartoli
Sonia Bartoli
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to Italian
Jan 12, 2007

I am rather new to the ProZ forums, so I apologize if by any change I am not posting in the most appropriate section...

I am currently using Trados 7. I have been using Trados pretty much as long as I can remember now. I see there is an "upgrade" deal to SDL Trados 2006 for Trados 7 users, at an attractive price.

So, I am wondering: it is worth upgrading? Any info, pros and cons or advice and considerations anyone would like to share will be greatly appreciated.

... See more
I am rather new to the ProZ forums, so I apologize if by any change I am not posting in the most appropriate section...

I am currently using Trados 7. I have been using Trados pretty much as long as I can remember now. I see there is an "upgrade" deal to SDL Trados 2006 for Trados 7 users, at an attractive price.

So, I am wondering: it is worth upgrading? Any info, pros and cons or advice and considerations anyone would like to share will be greatly appreciated.

[Edited at 2007-01-12 17:54]

[Edited at 2007-01-12 17:54]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I got the upgrade but don't see why one would absolutely need it Jan 12, 2007

I got the upgrade when they first launched it. However, all the recent features I am most interested in (commenting, improved QA, ability to translate Word files in TagEditor) were already there in version 7.0 and 7.1 (which was a free upgrade) and haven't really noticed any improvement for my personal use of Trados with version 7.5.

I am not sure which features are most important to you and how you use Trados. What I'd recommend you do is look at what SDL says is new in 7.5 and se
... See more
I got the upgrade when they first launched it. However, all the recent features I am most interested in (commenting, improved QA, ability to translate Word files in TagEditor) were already there in version 7.0 and 7.1 (which was a free upgrade) and haven't really noticed any improvement for my personal use of Trados with version 7.5.

I am not sure which features are most important to you and how you use Trados. What I'd recommend you do is look at what SDL says is new in 7.5 and see if there is anything in there that may be worth the upgrade price. If you are unsure, ask questions here on those specific new features to see if they could be worth it for you.

Although I am happy to have the most recent version, I am not sure if it was worth the money to update to 7.5 from 7.1. I already had all I needed in 7.1 - and the things I would really like (simple things like TagEditor recognizing non breaking spaces) are still not there. Hopefully SDL will pick up on these details sooner than later for future versions...

[Edited at 2007-01-12 20:10]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I got SDLX thrown in Jan 13, 2007

When I upgraded last February to SDL Trados 2006 I got Trados 7.5 and SDLX for 77 Euro. Accidentally I also purchased the Support contract for 43 Euros, but that is another matter.
The fact is, that when you leave out one upgrade step (version) the next upgrade will cost you more.
Trados 7.5 is almost identical to 7.1, but it is nice to have also SDLX.
So you hardly save money if you do not upgrade now, but if the next version happens to come out soon the same decision is ahead
... See more
When I upgraded last February to SDL Trados 2006 I got Trados 7.5 and SDLX for 77 Euro. Accidentally I also purchased the Support contract for 43 Euros, but that is another matter.
The fact is, that when you leave out one upgrade step (version) the next upgrade will cost you more.
Trados 7.5 is almost identical to 7.1, but it is nice to have also SDLX.
So you hardly save money if you do not upgrade now, but if the next version happens to come out soon the same decision is ahead again. Usually they push out a new version every year, because they need cash.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Alan Tolerton
Alan Tolerton  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Hold off for "2007" Feb 23, 2007

Wait a minute!
I would not buy SDL/Trados 2006, when the newer upgrade is available. (Sure, the outlay might be a bit higher, since - as another correspondent mentioned - you are missing out one upgrade step - but then you will have the latest, slimmest, most powerful version.)

Citation from a recent e-mail to me from SDLT:

>>We're pleased to announce the official pre-release of SDL Trados 2007, exclusively availab
... See more
Wait a minute!
I would not buy SDL/Trados 2006, when the newer upgrade is available. (Sure, the outlay might be a bit higher, since - as another correspondent mentioned - you are missing out one upgrade step - but then you will have the latest, slimmest, most powerful version.)

Citation from a recent e-mail to me from SDLT:

>>We're pleased to announce the official pre-release of SDL Trados 2007, exclusively available to you and only from www.translationzone.com for a limited time only.

Pre-order your new license or upgrade today, and you'll receive*:

New file preparation wizard to create projects in less time
New dashboards to track all of your projects in one central location
New powerful quality assurance checks to cut your review time in half
New filters to accept more project work
New support for Microsoft Office 2007 and Vista
New full compatibility with your customers
New and enhanced SDLX Synergy Client and SDLX 2007 now included
New and enhanced user interface.

SDL Trados 2007 will be officially released in March 2007, pre-orders will be accepted only until the end of February so don't miss out! Be one of the first to take advantage of special pricing by visiting www.translationzone.com or for faster ordering pre-order here.
Collapse

Sonia Bartoli
Sonia Bartoli
United States
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados 2006: to buy or not to buy? Feb 23, 2007

Alan Tolerton wrote:

I would not buy SDL/Trados 2006

You are correct. That was a typo on my part --I meant to say 2007, of course. Now with the new release, I doubt the previous one is even available for purchase any more.

I have, however, decided I am upgrading to 2007. I figured it can't hurt, and if I keep upgrading every version or two, the cost still remails lower and more diluted in time.

Thank you for your input.

Sonia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2006: to buy or not to buy?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »