A Trados Virgin (would welcome experienced advice)
Thread poster: Berni Armstrong

Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2002

Hi all,

I have been putting it off for months, but at last I decided I cannot afford to just continue ignoring Trados and hoping it goes away. As a working translator, I recognise that, at the least, I should be *familiar* with the programme, since more and more clients are asking for such familiarity.

So, I downloaded the demo of 5·5 Freelance from the Trados site... 92 megas.. took a wee while.... and.... seem to have just confirmed my worst fears...

The set up phase went smoothly, and I even followed the tutorial on Workbench, that I also downloaded, before getting down to business.

However, I have had problems with the programme itself - first the \"buttons\" that appear above the text (in Word) are difficult to read. On my computer they show up dark red on black! Not at all like those shown in the tutorial.

Then, sometimes when I pasted answers into the yellow box, the text often appeared ABOVE the box.

Then, occasionally, the blue box was

reproduced twice and the programme refused to move on (Ctrl +) when told to

do so and I had to start that file from scratch.

I also understood that I would only see the translation (unless requested otherwise) - but in fact the way mine appears to be set up you can see the original AND the translation, one after the other. Is that normal?

So I\'m not terribly impressed by Trados so far. Still, I accept that it might be me. When I get the hang of it, perhaps I will bless its name.

Meanwhile, could I ask the more experienced Trados users if the problems I am experiencing have any obvious solution... Are they in fact normal, or is this my Gremlins haunting me again? (My copy of Software often does things that no other copy has been reported as doing...)

Thanks in advance for any input,

Berni

Slightly Soiled Trados Virgin.

Direct link Reply with quote

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:50
French to English
Video problems? Nov 20, 2002

Quote:

However, I have had problems with the programme itself - first the \"buttons\" that appear above the text (in Word) are difficult to read. On my computer they show up dark red on black! Not at all like those shown in the tutorial.

Then, sometimes when I pasted answers into the yellow box, the text often appeared ABOVE the box.

I also understood that I would only see the translation (unless requested otherwise) - but in fact the way mine appears to be set up you can see the original AND the translation, one after the other. Is that normal?

Your problems sound like you may be having problems with your monitor, video card, driver or even resolution setting.

As for seeing source and target, yes this is normal with hidden text displayed. This is why you can set different colours for source, exact matches and fuzzy matches.

I find setting the source as light gray and matches in another colour make it much easier to work with and a joy to revise.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:50
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados things Nov 20, 2002

I had thought that maybe your desktop is set to an \"appearance\" with black bars... too easy maybe? The buttons should be grey with little red and black arrows on them.

Yes, it is normal to have both original and translation on boxes one above the other. As you get used to it, you\'ll see this is rather nice, to have both texts so close; it facilitates proofreading a lot.

In order to eliminate the original, you\'ll have to \"clean up\" the document.

This also happens to me: when I paste text from somewhere else in the translation box using regular copy and paste, the text appears just anywhere. I wish someone would tell me how to avoid it, because it is a drag.

But, you don\'t have to do that to copy the original text: you use the \"copy source\" (or Alt-Ins) button for that. By the way, you\'ll find that shortcuts are far more useful than buttons in the regular course of work. You find the shortcuts beside each item in the \"Trados\" menu (in Word).

English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... but how? Nov 20, 2002

QUOTE: I find setting the source as light gray and matches in another colour make it much easier to work with and a joy to revise. END QUOTE

Thanks for a quick reply. I will ask a friend about the video question.

As for the suggested colour changes, sounds a great idea. But how do I do that? From within Word, or is it a Trados option?

If I switch off Hidden Text, will I only see the translation?

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Here's how-to... Nov 20, 2002

Quote:

...As for the suggested colour changes, sounds a great idea. But how do I do that? From within Word, or is it a Trados option?

If I switch off Hidden Text, will I only see the translation?

Hi Bernie,

You change the colors in Trados. Open the translation memory (TM) that you want to use and click on \"Options\" then on \"Text color options\"... and you can decide which colors you want to use.

And yes, if you switch off hidden text, you will only see your translation.

HTH

Nathalie

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
hidden text Nov 20, 2002

I work in Wordfast (thank goodness!), and we have lovely green and blue buttons. Very nice on the eyes.

Anyway, if you use Options>Display>Hide text, yes, you can hide the source language. You may also have to press that funny paragraph mark on the Word toolbar. It\'s probably called something like \"Show/Hide\" (I have Word in Italian).

Trados and WF are quite similar so this should work for you too.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Training required Nov 20, 2002

Hi Berni,

I realise this isn\'t what you want to hear, but I don\'t think \"trial and error\" will really give you a reasonable impression. IMO properly using the software requires training (BTW I would say the same about MS Word). Couldn\'t see in your profile where exactly you\'re located, but maybe you could get in touch with Reinisch www.reinisch.es and arrange for a demo.

More specifically:

Quote:

Are you using Win98? I have the same problem, but only on the single remaining Win98 machine in my network.

Quote:

Generally, it\'s better to use the \"Edit\" / \"Paste content\" command rather than V - the problem with just pasting is a Word issue: the formatting of the document you copied from may well differ from the document you\'re working on (note that I\'m talking about templates here, not character formatting).

Quote:

Can you remember what you did before that?

Quote:

That depends on whether you activate or deactivate hidden text in Word. When working with Workbench, hidden text is always visible, but you can turn it off for subsequent review. That said, it\'s dangerous to make changes to the target text without seeing everything: for instance, if you highlight the first word of a sentence with hidden text switched off, what Word really does is to highlight quite a lot of hidden text preceding that word (again, a Word issue, not a Trados bug). Overwriting this word will erase the original and corrupt the Trados tags.

You may find the TW_users group on Yahoogroups useful, too.

Good luck!

Best regards, Ralf

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Always give as much info as you can Nov 20, 2002

Dear Berni:

All of the advice above is good, specially subscribing to the Trados users forum on Yahoo. The members and the archives are an excellent source of information.

A piece of advice: Whenever you post a question about Trados (or any software) always give info on the type of hardware, your operating system, the version of Office you are using and the type of document you are working on. It does make a difference whether you are working on Windows 98 or Windows XP, etc.

All that info will allow experienced users to better understand the issue and provide a solution.

Stick with it, once you get used to Trados you will find it difficult to do without.

Cheers,

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre

Santiago, Chile

English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One down.... Nov 20, 2002

Hi there,

one problem solved! Thanks to Francoise Perigaut, who wrote to me off line, I no longer have the black background problem.

She sent me to the following link:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=519

where Trados themselves outlined my exact problem and explained how to download the new drivers for my graphics card. That done I now see what I should have seen before!

So, I\'ll push on and keep you posted. Meanwhile thank you all for your advice and help,

Berni

Nathalie Kourimsky  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
the blue box problem Nov 21, 2002

That happens to me also from time to time. After many frustrating tests, I noticed (in my case anyway) that it always happened when I tried to copy/paste a text from another segment. So when you mark the text you want to copy, only mark the text and not the space which follows it. It should work.

If those double box appear, click on the \"reverse operation\" button before trying to type anything.

If ot still shouldn\'t work, then you will have to start from scratch, but the programm should have memorised you text and you only have to push the button \"next segment until fuzzy - the double arrowx pointing upwards and downwards\".

Keep on trying ! at the beginning I hated trados, and now I find it rather convenient!

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Using Trados Nov 21, 2002

Ralf is right about:

Generally, it\'s better to use the \"Edit\" / \"Paste content\" command rather than V - the problem with just pasting is a Word issue: the formatting of the document you copied from may well differ from the document you\'re working on (note that I\'m talking about templates here, not character formatting).

You can also use the Paste Special option of Word and choose Unformatted Text. Then you should just have the format of the original document and your \'standard template\' (i.e. Normal.dot) will not interfere.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Trados Virgin (would welcome experienced advice)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums