Off topic: Free landline number (US only, it seems): GrandCentral (Very useful resource!)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:50
Spanish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2007

GrandCentral: One number for Life (TM) - Beta

I'm not affiliated with GrandCentral in anyway but this website is offering a service that I have been dreaming of. They're offering a free phone number that can be re-directed to any phone in the United States. This number can be kept "for life".

I haven't checked all the features myself, but according to their web site:

The simplicity of one number
A number tied to you, not to a phone or location

All your voicemails in one place
Forward, reply, download... you're in control

Treat each caller differently
Greetings, music, phones, etc...all by caller

Protect your privacy
Keep your real numbers to yourself

Features:

One Number...for LifeTM
Pick a number that will not change
when you move or change jobs.

RingShareTM
Upload your MP3s to play for your callers
instead of the standard ring.

Customize by Caller
Pick phones to ring, greetings
to play and music to hear based
on who is calling.

ListenInTM on Voicemail
ListenIn on your messages from
any phone before answering.

Block Callers
Block telemarketers or annoying
callers and never get bothered
again.

Voicemail Everywhere
Get your voicemail online, through
the phone or in your email.

Screen Your Calls
Know who is calling every time,
even for blocked numbers.

Switch phones mid-call
Switch from cell to office or home
your callers won't know.

Voicemail Storage
All of your voicemail messages
will be saved online, for LIFE.

This is just the beta version, apparently some of these features won't be available for free in the future. But I wouldn't mind paying for just keeping the number and called forwarding (this feature will remain free). I think that once this system is finished, it's gonna be huge.

GrandCentral Tour

YouTube Demo

[Edited at 2007-02-01 18:27]

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:50
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Skype offers a similar service Feb 1, 2007

It is called "SkypeIn". Please refer to : www.skype.com

Saludos

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 00:51
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Skype is worldwide Feb 1, 2007

And in addition to Jorge's point, the "SkypeIn" service is not limited just to the US.

Long live "abroad"!

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Local time: 17:51
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not similar Feb 1, 2007

Hello Jorge,

I also thought it was a similar service but it's not. First of all, it's free--and according to the website, will remain free. The major difference, however, is that with SkypeIn, you will need Skype to answer the call. With GrandCentral, the phone calls are forwarded to any phone number in the US, landlines, cell phones or a SkypeIn number.

For example, instead of giving several numbers to all your contacts, they can only dial one number and the phone c
... See more
Hello Jorge,

I also thought it was a similar service but it's not. First of all, it's free--and according to the website, will remain free. The major difference, however, is that with SkypeIn, you will need Skype to answer the call. With GrandCentral, the phone calls are forwarded to any phone number in the US, landlines, cell phones or a SkypeIn number.

For example, instead of giving several numbers to all your contacts, they can only dial one number and the phone call will be redirected to a cell phone or landline or both or more.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
International numbers Feb 1, 2007

Tony M wrote:

And in addition to Jorge's point, the "SkypeIn" service is not limited just to the US.

Long live "abroad"!

Hello Tony,

They've announced they will add international numbers soon.

[Edited at 2007-02-01 18:18]

Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
GrandCentral Feb 1, 2007

I have Skype (SkypeIn is not yet available in the Netherlands, but will no doubt arrive shortly).

GrandCentral sound great indeed! I'll keep an ear open for it, for when and if it makes it across.

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
It's true that the services they propose sound very useful. Feb 1, 2007

I wonder if Skype is going to follow that path...

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Misconceptions? Feb 1, 2007

I don't have any axe to grind on behalf of Skype or anyone else, but I'd just like to answer what appear to be some common misconceptions going around:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I also thought it was a similar service but it's not. First of all, it's free--and according to the website, will remain free.

Now call me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that this service will stay "free" for very long...

Claudia Alvis also wrote:

The major difference, however, is that with SkypeIn, you will need Skype to answer the call.

Not true!

According to Skype's own FAQs, it should be possible to both transfer calls to other numbers to your SkypeIn number (presumably, assuming those incoming numbers have transfer facilities set up!) and transfer SkypeIn calls to a variety of other numbers.

Increasing country coverage seems to be regarded as a priority.

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
skype Feb 1, 2007

Yes, I agree Tony. They do seem to head out de GrandCentral path in a way. You can also tape your conversations (it seems it may be handy when you fix the agreements on a deal)

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Illegal? Feb 2, 2007

Marlou Franken wrote:

Yes, I agree Tony. They do seem to head out de GrandCentral path in a way. You can also tape your conversations (it seems it may be handy when you fix the agreements on a deal)

Just be aware that in a lot of places, you have to have clear consent from the other party to tape a conversation. Otherwise it's illegal.

Here's some information for the USA:

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

[Edited at 2007-02-02 16:33]

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
tape Feb 2, 2007

I know, there is a spoken warning when you tape, for those countries. Actually I haven't used it yet. Just a weakness for extra's and gadgets.:)

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:21
English to Hindi
+ ...
taping can be illegal Feb 2, 2007

In India, if you tape a conversation, as an individual, you could be arrested and put in jail....it could be risky business. And you could only tape it after you have the orders of a senior police officer, most certainly, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, not any small fry.

Roomy

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the info, Claudia! Feb 3, 2007

I signed up!

=)

Bonnie

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Taping calls Feb 7, 2007

Roomy Naqvy wrote:
Taping can be illegal...

Only if you do it without the other party's knowledge, I believe.
As long as it was made clear to the other party/parties and they didn't object, it means they consented.

A lot of companies and various government agencies and authorities have this facility, you can hear a warning at the begining of a telephone conversation, "...this call may be recorded for.... purpose".

I can't see any difference for individuals. If you don't like it, you say so, or put the phone down.

I hasten to add, I couldn't be bothered to tape my conversations. Life is not long enough to manage a library of phone calls. There are plenty of better things to do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free landline number (US only, it seems): GrandCentral (Very useful resource!)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »