Looking for good CD It-En dictionary
Thread poster: Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Local time: 10:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2007

I am looking for a good CD Italian - English dictionary. I use the Oxford Spanish and French dictionaries which I am happy with, but their Italian equivalent does not seem to be available on CD.

Cecilia Di Vita
Cecilia Di Vita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Try the Hazon Garzanti Feb 12, 2007

Dear Clifford,

I use the Hazon Garzanti Italian-English dictionary, and I like it very much.

http://www.hoepli.it/libro.asp?ib=8848000797&pc=000007001002020

Kind regards

Cecilia

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Local time: 11:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Online Version Available Too Feb 12, 2007

I agree with Cecilia. There is also an online version - http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/ - but I don't think it offers all of the features that the CD-Rom does.

Good luck!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Picchi Feb 12, 2007

The most complete English-Italian and Italian-English currently available on CD is Picchi's, published by Hoepli.

There has been a recent thread in the Italian forum on the various dictionaries available, with links to the various sites where you can sample them.

Katherine Zei
Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Ragazzini Feb 12, 2007

I use the Ragazzini which has a lot of expressions and entries, but is a bit of a pain to use. You can't paste words into the query box, and you have to put in the masc. sing. or infinitive version of the word otherwise it won't recognise it.

I like Ragazzini... but I should have bought the one (I think it's Garzanti) that has the Word toggle that allows you to click on the word in Word and it will show you the entry on the same screen.

Usability is almost a more import
... See more
I use the Ragazzini which has a lot of expressions and entries, but is a bit of a pain to use. You can't paste words into the query box, and you have to put in the masc. sing. or infinitive version of the word otherwise it won't recognise it.

I like Ragazzini... but I should have bought the one (I think it's Garzanti) that has the Word toggle that allows you to click on the word in Word and it will show you the entry on the same screen.

Usability is almost a more important factor than the number of words, I've found.

Good luck!
kz
Collapse

Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dodgy CD Feb 12, 2007

[quote]Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

The most complete English-Italian and Italian-English currently available on CD is Picchi's, published by Hoepli.

Ricardo, I have been looking at the reviews on the site and it seems the CD doesn't always work properly. My Maroli Cd, also from hoepli gave the the ghost, so I am a bit worried about how well it would work. I use Windows XP

Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
click on word... Feb 12, 2007

Katherine Zei wrote:

Usability is almost a more important factor than the number of words, I've found.

Good luck!
kz

Thank you Katherine, I find that the click and look up function doesn't work on any of my dictionaries (except the Russian one) especially in Trados....

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
No problem with the CD, if it is updated Feb 12, 2007

Clifford Marcus wrote:

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Ricardo, I have been looking at the reviews on the site and it seems the CD doesn't always work properly. My Maroli Cd, also from hoepli gave the the ghost, so I am a bit worried about how well it would work. I use Windows XP

Hi Clifford:

As regards the CDs: the dictionaries published by Hoepli (Marolli and Picchi included) are copy protected, and, at least for some early versions were linked to certain OS only. So, for example, my copy of Marolli only works with Windows up to 2000, but would not work with XP.
For the latest versions of the CD software, though, there are software patches available to use the CD even with more recent OS: for instance, Picchi 2003 (the one I use) requires the patch to work with SP2 of Widows XP.

You can find the patches for various dictionaries in this post on my blog About Translation.

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Riccardo- Feb 13, 2007

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

There has been a recent thread in the Italian forum on the various dictionaries available, with links to the various sites where you can sample them.

Do you know where I can order these dictionaries in the US? I've done a bit of searching on the Internet and can't seem to find the right site. I'm returning to the US and would like to order a new dictionary from over there while I'm at it.
Thanks-
Jennifer

Isabel Booth
Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:41
Italian to English
Use with XP Feb 13, 2007

I use the Zanichelli/Ragazzini (1998 3rd edition) for general stuff (dead cheap: I got it from the local COOP) in one DVD slot and the Hoepli/Marolli Tech (2000 Dic 13th edition) in the other DVD slot without any problems.
Both came with a printed dictionary, which are gathering dust on the bookshelf.

I originally used both with an older version of Windows too (I can't remember what it was called - 2000? ) and had no probs whatsoever when I upgraded to XP, however neither wi
... See more
I use the Zanichelli/Ragazzini (1998 3rd edition) for general stuff (dead cheap: I got it from the local COOP) in one DVD slot and the Hoepli/Marolli Tech (2000 Dic 13th edition) in the other DVD slot without any problems.
Both came with a printed dictionary, which are gathering dust on the bookshelf.

I originally used both with an older version of Windows too (I can't remember what it was called - 2000? ) and had no probs whatsoever when I upgraded to XP, however neither will run on my father's PC over in the UK, which is running XP too...

They work automatically "in tandem", meaning they are basically in the same window and I select the one I want for that query from a drop-down menu.
Copy/pasting the word is no prob, and they both have a useful "navigator" feature.

Only problem is I cannot get my head around out how you use the Dictionary "link up" in wordfast.
HTH
Isabel
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not from the US - try IBS Feb 13, 2007

Jennifer Baker wrote:

Do you know where I can order these dictionaries in the US? I've done a bit of searching on the Internet and can't seem to find the right site. I'm returning to the US and would like to order a new dictionary from over there while I'm at it.
Thanks-
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer:

I don't think it would be easy to find them in the USA, but you can order them through Internet Bookshop Italia.

Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
do you need to load CD each time? Mar 13, 2007

better late than never, but regarding the dictionaries advised, do you need to put the CD each time, or is it possible to load it into the HD once and for all (as with my Oxford French and Spanish dictionaries)?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for good CD It-En dictionary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »