do you know how to write the euro sign?
Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2002

Well, it might be silly but I didn\'t have the slightest idea and whenever I had to write it I used to copy and paste it from somewhere else or just used EUR.

Now I found out that pressing \'control\'+\'alt\'+ dollar sign/4 on your keyboard all together, it gives you the \'€\' euro sign.

Isn\'t that brilliant??!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 17:16
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
If you have a European keyboard... Nov 28, 2002

then you type Alt Gr (to the right of the space bar) and \"e\" together to get €.

Also, alt gr + r = the r in a circle, alt gr + t = the TM sign.

HTH

Alison

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
Alison, your suggestions only work if you are using the German (or Romanian) keyboard Nov 28, 2002

However, on an English (US) keyboard it doesn\'t work. It works on the Romanian keyboard as well, but not on the Hungarian. So it all depends on the language settings. On the ENglish keyboard Alt Gr + e opens the menu Edit

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-28 14:15 ]

Joanna Mimmack  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
German to English
Euro sign Nov 28, 2002

It took me a while to find out - I ended up asking Google. It\'s dead simple: Alt + 0128

= € I have an idea that it doesn\'t do it in all fonts but have now lost the reference.

pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
DIY Nov 28, 2002

On the POlish keybord, GrAlt + u does the trick. The Alt-Ctr-Shift-4 combination does work for the British English (but not US English) keyboard but using four fingers at once to write one character is something up with which I would not put. So: go to MS Word\'s Insert menu -> Symbol -> locate the € character - assign a keyboard shortcut to it, e.g. GrAlt + u and you\'re done

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Use Character Map in Windows Nov 28, 2002

I believe that this would work on any language version of Windows:

Use Character Map (Program files -> Accessories -> System tools -> Character Map)

The Euro sign is the first sign on the 4th row...

Have a great day!

Nathalie

LogiCaf  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:16
English to French
ASCII code = ALT+0128 Nov 28, 2002

I always use the ASCII code, which is: ALT+0128 (Hold the ALT key while pressing the digits.

It might be ALT+128 on some keyboards.

Cheers,

Stéf

Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Another possibility: Nov 28, 2002

On the menu click: Insert

click: Symbol

Find the Euro symbol and assign the short cut key of your choice to it, e. g. Alt+$

It is easy and my old brain has little to remember,

Ursula

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Press CRTL + ALT + E together in Word Nov 29, 2002

In Word for Windows, you can press CRTL + ALT + E simultaneously for the Euro symbol

Also, CRTL + ALT + C for Copyright

and CRTL + ALT + T for TM

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I'm really lucky! Nov 29, 2002

With the Spanish keyboard I have the € sign with the \"e\" caracter (just need alt Gr +e). I can also write all the accents for French and have the ñ for Spanish. Everything I need is on the keyboard and really friendly to use. One thing I don\'t have (but I don\'t need it) is the sign on the ñ, for portuguese.

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Merci Jeff Nov 29, 2002

It works for me Alt+Ctrl+E. Thanks you very much, on the laptop I do not have AltGre.

xxxmgonzalez
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just another possibility: Nov 29, 2002

If you use Word, go to Insert>Symbol>€. If the font you’re using doesn’t have the Euro symbol, then select another one that does. In case you’re only interested in the Euro symbol for printed documents, or in case other people to whom you may send documents also have these fonts installed, you can get for free up to four Euro fonts from ITC. With these you get the Euro symbol by pressing just any key. Best regards. MG.

http://www.itcfonts.com/fonts/euro.asp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

do you know how to write the euro sign?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs