Thread poster: Languageman

Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:08
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2007

Hi,

Does anybody know of a comprehensive (or otherwise) list of standard Windows Vista menu options?

I'm starting to get a lot of translations that refer to Vista menus and would like to get the wording correct, as it appears in the software. German - English would be ideal, but English only would be a great help to.

TIA,

Stephen

Direct link Reply with quote

Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:08
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
From Microsoft's website Feb 26, 2007

Stephen Powley wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody know of a comprehensive (or otherwise) list of standard Windows Vista menu options?

I'm starting to get a lot of translations that refer to Vista menus and would like to get the wording correct, as it appears in the software. German - English would be ideal, but English only would be a great help to.

TIA,

Stephen

I've found this site helpful for my technical writing work: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/UxGuide/UXGuide/Home.asp

Microsoft used to publish an Excel spreadsheet with its standard terminology in English along with many other languages, but I can't find it on their site right now.

Piotr Jańczuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:08
English to Polish
+ ...
Microsoft Terminology Translations in 59 languages Feb 26, 2007

Jennifer Baldwin wrote:
Microsoft used to publish an Excel spreadsheet with its standard terminology in English along with many other languages, but I can't find it on their site right now.

They still do. -> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx

Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:08
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 27, 2007

Thanks both, useful sites.

I checked the Microsoft glossary, but this wasn't comprehensive enough (believe it or not) for what I need here. What I'm looking for is a breakdown of all the menus and other interactive text that appear in Vista (presumably a huge amount!). This could include such things as the text that appears when you hover your mouse pointer over a icon on the task bar, or the wording within a Control Panel utility when you go to change a setting.

I suppose ultimately the only option might be to get a copy of Vista, but I'd rather avoid that.

Cheers,

Stephen

Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:08
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Wonderful! Feb 27, 2007

Piotr Jańczuk wrote:

Jennifer Baldwin wrote:

They still do. -> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx

Thanks for the link, Piotr! I'm bookmarking it so I don't lose it again. It's a great resource.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking Windows Vista Menus resources

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs