Mobile menu

Translation Memory: Japanese to English
Thread poster: Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Local time: 20:26
Japanese to English
Feb 28, 2007

Hello everyone.

This is my first post to the discussion boards, though I have participated in Kudoz on and off.

I have just gotten started with OmegaT, after searching the boards for affordable, and recommended CAT tools for Mac users... OmegaT was Free, and runs on my Mac, so I'm happy for now.

I am going to try it for my first project, but was wondering if there are freely available memories I could load into my new software to help me along.

Specifically, I am looking for Japanese to English, IT, Business, and Copyright memories.

I searched the site a bit, and saw some memories for sale. This makes me wonder if giving memories away for free is something that just doesn't happen. If that's the case, please let me know.

Thanks for any advice!

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
German to English
+ ...
Translation Memory: Japanese to English Feb 28, 2007

Unless you can find memories with content very similar to the texts you are translating, they are not likely to be much help to you.

What you may find more useful are texts in your particular subject-field and their translations which you can align yourself to produce memories. You can use bitext2tmx for example for alignment:

For instance, there are considerable volumes of material, particularly legislation, available on the EU's site in the various European languages. Pairs of texts can be aligned to produce a TM. This particular example is obviously no help to you, but you may be able to find something similar for Japanese and English.

Harvey Beasley
Local time: 20:26
Japanese to English
Thanks! Mar 3, 2007

Thanks for that Marc P, I'm going to do some more research before I really get started using OmegaT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Memory: Japanese to English

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs