Thread poster: laura castori

laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:50
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 6, 2007

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone of you knows a good specific vocabulary for tourism, travel etc.... Maybe one specific for translations related to hotels, restaurants etc...
I only found this "CD-ROM Duboux multilingual dictionary – 7 lingue" anyone of you know it???
Thanks for the help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michèle Ménard  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:50
French to Italian
+ ...
Use the Internet Mar 6, 2007

I work mostly in this field and when I started I only had some common dictionaries and Internet to rely on. If you are keen in Internet searches you will be able to build up your own glossary in few weeks - so did I.

[Edited at 2007-03-06 15:58]

Pnina
Israel
Local time: 11:50
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
Travel Industry Dictionary Mar 7, 2007

Ciao, Laura.
Ti invito a visitare questo sito:
www.hometravelagency.com/dictionary/index.html
This link leads to a comprehensive dictionary of travel industry terms, which was created for travel agencies, home-based travel agents, and travel writers.
The dictionary is easy to use and can be helpful when a translator is looking for definitions of terms and phrases that are used in the special jargon of the travel business.

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:50
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
tourism Mar 7, 2007

tourism is a field where there is no one big universal dictionary suitable for all the world due to the fact that its a very versatile field.
from my own experience I can say over the course of time you will end up with your own dictionary (if you specialize in this field) and it will be made up of terms from general dictionaries, wine terminology, culinary, hotel and hospitality and other terminology.
Also as previous poster mentioned Internet is of great help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tourism, travel specific glossary

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums