https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/6838-what_is_your_favourite_dictionary.html

What is your favourite dictionary?
Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 4, 2002

This question is especially for non-Turkish translators translating into or from Turkish. As for me, my favourite Eng>Tr & Tr>Eng bilingual dictionary is Oxford Turkish dictionary. If I had only one alternative, I would use that.

HOWEVER, THIS QUESTION IS NOT LIMITED TO Turkish-English dictionaries. Your answers for monolingual abridged and unabridged English dictionaries are also welcome.

As for me, I use both Merriam Webster\'s Unabridged Dictionary
... See more
This question is especially for non-Turkish translators translating into or from Turkish. As for me, my favourite Eng>Tr & Tr>Eng bilingual dictionary is Oxford Turkish dictionary. If I had only one alternative, I would use that.

HOWEVER, THIS QUESTION IS NOT LIMITED TO Turkish-English dictionaries. Your answers for monolingual abridged and unabridged English dictionaries are also welcome.

As for me, I use both Merriam Webster\'s Unabridged Dictionary and The New Shorter Oxford Dictionary. But I see many people prefer The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

This question is more important for me than the one made on CAT tools, whether to use Trados or DejaVu (or SDLX).

Thanks all.
Collapse

shenay kharatekin
shenay kharatekin
Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
mine is very clear Dec 4, 2002

It is www.zargan.com

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
Danish to English
+ ...
Dictionaries Dec 4, 2002

I have been using Random House Unabridged and Webster\'s New World Dictionary, and I translate DanishEnglish with reference books primarily in those two languages.

Nico van de Water
Nico van de Water  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
Favourite dictionary / dictionaries Dec 5, 2002

My favourite dictionary for English-Dutch and Dutch-English (my languages) is the set of Van Dale Vertaalwoordenboeken E-N/N-E. They are simply the best, although far from exhaustive.

For English (UK), I actually prefer the Chambers English Dictionary of the New Oxford English Dictionary. Why? Because Chambers maintains the subtle differences in the English language (such as \"on line\" for adverbial use and \"on-line\" for adjectival use). The NOED seems to have fallen for
... See more
My favourite dictionary for English-Dutch and Dutch-English (my languages) is the set of Van Dale Vertaalwoordenboeken E-N/N-E. They are simply the best, although far from exhaustive.

For English (UK), I actually prefer the Chambers English Dictionary of the New Oxford English Dictionary. Why? Because Chambers maintains the subtle differences in the English language (such as \"on line\" for adverbial use and \"on-line\" for adjectival use). The NOED seems to have fallen for a rather commercial US-English-based \"online\" entry.
Collapse

Sarozer (X)
Sarozer (X)
English to Tajik
+ ...
I use this one Sep 9, 2009

www.tureng.com

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
A man after my own heart! Sep 9, 2009

Nico van de Water wrote:

For English (UK), I actually prefer the Chambers English Dictionary of the New Oxford English Dictionary.

The full OED is in a class of its own but I love Chambers, too. The selection of lemmata predates the language corpora that tend to dominate dictionary writing nowadays so it's possible to find all sorts of interesting words that wouldn't make it into a more conventional one-volume work.

And of course there are the wonderful, deliberately eccentric, definitions that peek through here and there amid all the serious stuff (éclair: a cake, long in shape but short in duration, with cream filling and chocolate or other icing).

The only real drawback is that Chambers doesn't use IPA phonetic symbols for pronunciation.

Giles

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for reviving this old topic Sep 9, 2009

This question was asked almost 7 years ago. And after reading Nico van de Water's comments I have purchased Chamber's Dictionary, both the "classical" one and the 21st Century Dictionary. Really great dictionaries!

Christina Paiva
Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Can't work without... Sep 9, 2009

Random House Unabridged and Brazilian Portuguese new edition of Houaiss Electronic Dictionary.

[Edited at 2009-09-09 14:46 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please edit the title Sep 9, 2009

Good topic indeed!

May I suggest that the moderators include the word «Turkish» in the title, so that this is focused on translators from/to Turkish!

Cheers everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your favourite dictionary?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »