Good FrenchEnglish CD-Rom dictionaries
Thread poster: Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:13
German to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2002

I currently have Harrap\'s Shorter and Larousse Unabridged on CD-ROM, but none of them are particularly impressive. Does anyone have any others they could recommend? I know that both Hachette and Robert do CD-ROMs for this language combination, but are they any good?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 18:13
English
+ ...
Termium Dec 11, 2002

It\'ll set you back about CAD 400 but worth the investment. Otherwise, Collins is more fun than Harrap\'s. You can also splurge on decent monolingual dics like the COD Websters and Larousse. I also fell for the snob appeal of the Littré, which is fun to browse, but haven\'t gotten any operational mileage out of it. Don\'t forget to get in on Eurodicautom and Unterm either. Good Luck.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I have the Robert EN-FR on CD-ROM Dec 11, 2002

Hi

I have the Harraps and Larousse (as you do) on CD-ROM... and I also purchased the Robert (EN-FR) on CD-ROM not long ago.

I find it very good and it gives you different options in regards to terminology than the other two so I find it useful. It installs on your hard-drive (like the Larousse) so you don\'t have to load up the CD-ROM everytime you want it etc...

I also use the Robert
... See more
Hi

I have the Harraps and Larousse (as you do) on CD-ROM... and I also purchased the Robert (EN-FR) on CD-ROM not long ago.

I find it very good and it gives you different options in regards to terminology than the other two so I find it useful. It installs on your hard-drive (like the Larousse) so you don\'t have to load up the CD-ROM everytime you want it etc...

I also use the Robert (French only) which I really like, it is a very nice CD-ROM.

I hope this helps you a bit!

Nath
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
About Termium... Dec 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-11 14:42, Arthur wrote:

It\'ll set you back about CAD 400 but worth the investment...

I have Termium Plus (the online version) which I would recommend over the CD-Rom version because it is updated very regularly, and I can also access it from anywhere.

It is an excellent tool indeed

Na... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-11 14:42, Arthur wrote:

It\'ll set you back about CAD 400 but worth the investment...

I have Termium Plus (the online version) which I would recommend over the CD-Rom version because it is updated very regularly, and I can also access it from anywhere.

It is an excellent tool indeed

Nath ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good FrenchEnglish CD-Rom dictionaries

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »