Mobile menu

Certification of Translation
Thread poster: xxxdavidbrown30
xxxdavidbrown30
English to German
Apr 5, 2007

Hello -- I am looking for information on getting translations certified. The document is being translated from English to German.

Does Germany have different requirements than the US?

Thank you!

D.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:46
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
in Germany... Apr 5, 2007

a certified translation may only be prepared by a certified translator...while in the U.S. any competent translator may issue a certified translation.

That is my experience....

Kathi

xxxdavidbrown30
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Re: In Germany Apr 5, 2007

Interesting ... So if I am just a 'competent translator' can I do the work, and then have it certified by a 'certified translator' and send it to Germany? Would they accept that or must the whole process be done by a certified translator?

Thanks for your insight.

D.

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:46
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
As long as... Apr 6, 2007

...the certified translator accepts the translation perpared by the competent translator...

I give you an example: I was once contacted by an agency, they had the translation already done by their inhouse translator and wanted me to proofread and certify the translation. Of course, this process is acceptable.

Kathi

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:46
German to English
+ ...
Who is it for? And who could certify it. Apr 6, 2007

If it is for a public authority or other official body, they may demand that the translation be done by a court-appointed interpreter in Germany, or if it is certified abroad, they may want some official certification added, e.g. by a notary. If they are very fussy, they may even move the hurdles even higher.

You could certainly do the translation yourself and get an officially authorised translator to certify it and put their stamp on it. But beware, that may be more difficult than it sounds. I, for one, never certify work done by others - I did it once, and it was more trouble than it was worth (too many mistakes and oversights involved), so I decided that I would never do it again, especially as I would have to put my name and reputation on the line, so the work must satisfy my own standards.

Maxi Inge
Local time: 12:46
German to English
+ ...
policy of officials who will be reviewing documents Apr 11, 2007

In cases like this I always advise my client to check with the officials in the country who will be reviewing the document and its translation. What, and done by whom, do they consider an acceptable translation for their purposes? I've done this since a client told me her horror story. She had had about 20 pages of personal documents translated in Germany by officially certified German translators. The officials in whatever Canadian department or scholastic institution would not accept the translations. They could not be certified by a Canadian translator. They had to be translated from scratch by a Canadian certified translator.

In another instance the German school officials, knowing my client would be looking for equivalency in Canada, wrote the certifying information in English. Our officials here said "German school officials are in Germany where the official language is German." The school officials had to rewrite the same documents in German, saying the same thing, which she then had to have translated into English. The bureaucratic mind is often a mysterious thing - it's best to ask what they deem acceptable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification of Translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs